Library Transfer - Broken links and no files in copied directory

I am transferring my Library to a new computer (using the latest Juris-M version), following these steps: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/transferring_a_library. I have copied my data folder from my old computer to the new one, and have successfully linked my Zotero account on the new computer. I can see my Library, all folders with their citations, and links to PDFs, etc.

However, when I click to open a document (ex. a PDF) in Juris-M, I recieve an error: "The attached file could not be found at the following path..... It may have been moved or deleted...." I looked in \User\Juris-M\storage\ folders (ex. the ones auto-named by Zotero, such as 2BJEUDTP), and it seems that no PDF, DOCX, JPEG, etc. files copied over, so the broken link makes sense.

Did I make a mistake in doing BOTH a sync and a copy of the data directory? Either way, can someone help troubleshoot what went wrong with copying my directory onto my new computer?

• If you copied the whole folder, all the files would be there — that wouldn't really have anything to do with Zotero. So either you did something wrong or the files were missing on the other computer as well.

Note that linked files, stored outside the data directory, might be at different locations on the new computer, and for that you'd have to wanted to set up the Linked Attachment Base Directory setting on the original computer before making the transfer. We could help you fix those paths now, but you'd have to say whether you're actually getting an error for stored files or linked files.
  • Thanks for clarifying that this isn't a Zotero problem. It made me retrace all of my steps. Turns out the problem was indeed me--I copied the directory into Sharepoint instead of a hard/flash drive backup... Sharepoint's syncing wasn't properly/fully, so most PDFs, etc. did not get copied onto the new computer. I re-copied the directory in full and all is well now!