Style Error: Journal of Glaciology

Dear citation maintainers,

I'm writing a paper for Journal of Glaciology at the moment and using the citation style in the library, which hasn't been updated since 2014. I've noticed at least two issues with the citation style:

1) JoG requires that all authors are listed in the reference when there are six authors or fewer; otherwise they get cited as "[First Author] and N others"

2) The style currently lists multiple papers by the same first author alphabetically, using the subsequent authors' names to sort. JoG requires that the following rules are applied:

"References are arranged in alphabetical order by first author. Among multiple references with the same first author, first list all single-authored works, then all double-authored, and then all multiple-authored (three or more). Within each of these sets, arrange works with the most recent first and, when dates are the same, with letters a, b, c, ... in the order in which they are cited in the text (see above)."

Here's the style guide - the relevant section is on page 7.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/services/aop-file-manager/file/5b431f1d2c1c7a5063243b24/jglac-instructionsforauthors-11Apr2019.pdf

I did start having a go at fixing this myself, but it seems very complex (especially the author sequencing). I'd appreciate it if anyone could take a look at it. Many thanks for your hard work on maintaining this system.

Mike Prior-Jones, Cardiff University, UK
  • 1. CSL/Zotero cannot do the "N" of and N others.

But I have added et-al settings now.

2. I have added the names-min attribute for 3, to sort the bibliography for up to 3 names. (never used this, let's see if it works).

Please test. Right click, save as, install.
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/citation-style-language/styles/87c9e1563ac60304135a0a845fe535a360568db2/journal-of-glaciology.csl
  • edited January 18, 2021
    Thank you for the quick response - that's definitely an improvement!

1) that gives (for a paper with 7 authors):

Individual Citations
    (Sole and others, 2011)
    Single Citation (with position "first")
    (Sole and others, 2011)

Bibliography
    Sole AJ et al. (2011) Seasonal speedup of a Greenland marine-terminating outlet glacier forced by surface melt–induced changes in subglacial hydrology. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface 116(F3) (doi:10.1029/2010JF001948)

If we can have "and others" instead of "et al." in the biliography that would be great.

2) almost works - I just had to change the author sort order by changing ' key variable="issued" ' to ' key variable="issued" sort="descending" ' in order to get most recent papers first. But it does seem to resolve the "single-authored works first" rule, giving me:

Röthlisberger H (1980) Gletscherbewegung und Wasserabfluss. Wasser, Energie, Luft 72(9), 290–294
    Röthlisberger H (1972) Water Pressure in Intra- and Subglacial Channels *. Journal of Glaciology 11(62), 177–203 (doi:10.3189/S0022143000022188)
    Röthlisberger H and Lang H (1987) Glacial Hydrology. Glacio-Fluvial Sediment Transfer: An Alpine Perspective. Wiley, 207–84

• Thanks again - that pretty much works as expected, though now when applied to my whole bibliography I've found one case where papers by a single author are in the wrong sequence:

What the current version gives me for these papers by Iken is this sequence

Iken A, Echelmeyer Κ, Harrison W and Funk M (1993) Mechanisms of fast flow in Jakobshavns Isbræ, West Greenland: Part I. Measurements of temperature and water level in deep boreholes. J. Glaciol. 39(131), 15–25 (doi:10.3189/S0022143000015689)

Iken A (1981) The Effect of the Subglacial Water Pressure on the Sliding Velocity of a Glacier in an Idealized Numerical Model. J. Glaciol. 27(97), 407–421 (doi:10.3189/S0022143000011448)

Iken A (1972) Measurements of Water Pressure in Moulins as Part of a Movement Study of the White Glacier, Axel Heiberg Island, Northwest Territories, Canada. J. Glaciol. 11(61), 53–58 (doi:10.3189/S0022143000022486)

Iken A and Bindschadler RA (1986) Combined measurements of Subglacial Water Pressure and Surface Velocity of Findelengletscher, Switzerland: Conclusions about Drainage System and Sliding Mechanism. J. Glaciol. 32(110), 101–119 (doi:10.3189/S0022143000006936)

It's nearly right - except that the four-author 1993 paper should come last instead of first. But don't worry about it too much if there's not a straightforward fix - it's definitely an improvement and I'm going to have to tweak it by hand anyway for the "and N others" rule.
  • In a further development, I've had an email from one of their editors saying that the journal is in the process of changing its style guide. Frustratingly, they haven't yet published the new rules, but they are trying to get me to conform to them! The one issue I've been picked up on so far is that they now want full journal titles rather than abbreviations. I'll keep an eye on this as I expect to write for them again in the future.
  • @adamsmith
    Have you got a clue here?
  • @mrpj100 I've just pushed the updated style and it'll be on zotero.org/styles shortly. It now uses full journal titles, a slightly different DOI format, and prints authors in bold, in line with current first view articles. I assume that's what they'd want you to follow, but let us know if they come back with any complaints.