ZOTERO

Good day sir/ma.

I am a new user of Zotero from Nigeria. I have some concerns, and require clarification before I can proceed with the use of Zotero.

First, Zotero offers 350 MB cloud space free. Noted. Now, let's assume I have exhausted this space and have also subscribed for 2GB.

Here is my question:

Will this 2GB space continue to serve me until it gets full? OR will this 2GB automatically returns to 0GB once the subscription expires?

I will appreciate your urgent response.

Regards.
  • The storage subscription is for one year of 2GB storage, so if you let it lapse after one year, it gets set back to 300MB and after a grace period (I believe 30 days) attachments on the server in excess of 300MB will be removed. Note those are only the server copies. Zotero will never delete your local copy of any file unless you specifically delete the item in Zotero.
  • Thanks Adamsmith. I must confess that I am not internet savvy, however, I have been making alot of effort lately to update my knowledge.

I need more clarification as regards your comment:

What is the implication of removing attachments from the server as opposed to deleting these attachments locally?

What is the importance of having these attachments on the server? And, what is the importance of having them locally on the PC?

What will happen if I don't subscribe? Will I still be able to use Zotero?
    Lastly, can an external hard drive substitute cloud storage in Zotero?

I will appreciate your response yet again. I am most grateful.

Cheers.
  • edited January 22, 2021
    Read through Syncing to understand the purpose of data syncing and file syncing. Syncing is entirely optional, and you can use Zotero locally if you don't need to access your data or files on the web or on other devices, and you don't care about having an online copy as an extra backup.
  • Thanks for the clarification. Gracias
  • edited January 22, 2021
    @mgbehomaikenna : "I must confess that I am not internet savvy... " You are sufficiently savvy to use this forum to ask a sensible question and to want to use a personal bibliography manager!

The Zotero storage of metadata records (title, authors, volume, issue, page-range, journal title, etc. is _free_ and unlimited. The storage limits are for attached files such as pdf copies of articles and reports. It is almost a necessity to sync your metadata to Zotero's free storage to guard against a disaster such as loss of your computer. Using Zotero extra storage to have a copy of your articles and reports is nice to have -- especially if you use a work computer and a computer at home -- but not essential. I've been actively using Zotero for 15 years and I pay for storage (that I don't use) primarily to help financial support of the project. I have a different system for backups of pdf files and images.
  • Thanks for the kind and encouraging words. And, more thanks for the concise reply.