Citing a collection of documents

This discussion was created from comments split from: Item Types.
  • AdamSmith-OK. I get what you say regarding using the document heading as a work-around. Can help me refine it for the Chicago Manual of Style?
    I want to cite an entire collection of documents ("The John Smith Family Archive") held by a national archive (State Archive of Finland).

What information, minimally should be included (for Chicago)? I assume Title is the name of the collection and "Location in Archive" is the locator identifying number ("1/1760/0")

Which other fields should be used that will display correctly in Chicago style?
    For example...
    Is the "Publisher" the name of the archive organization (State Archive of Finland)??
    Or is the "Archive" the name of the archive organization (State Archive of Finland)?
    The date field is designed for a single year, not a range (1940-1945). Work around?

In subsequent citations, I wish to refer to specific folders (e.g. "Folder 53-Finances"), within the larger collection. Do I change "page" to "folio" or to something else?
    Many thanks,
    Mel
  • @dstillman could we split the last bit off, please?

Zotero has better support for individual archival documents than for collections (I think we'll get something for collections in the future, too, but less sure about the status there)
    I assume Title is the name of the collection and "Location in Archive" is the locator identifying number ("1/1760/0")
    That should work., yes.

The archive holding a manuscript should definitely got into the archive field, not the publisher field.

For date ranges you can use Issued: 1940/1945 in the extra field (which supports more complex date structures than the actual date field currently).

I think I'd put folder info into a suffix in citations, so you don't get random acronyms like "folio" in front of it.

• @adamsmith type. ‘Collection’ is in CSL 1.0.2
  • I'm stunned, in a very good way, by your nearly immediate-- and exceptionally helpful--reply. Thank you.
    Mel