Converting between styles

I'm trying to convert citations in Chicago from one document to APA for a new document (I'm frankensteining a piece together). When I update citations to APA using doc preferences the citations change format but they stay as footnotes which is not what I want.

I'm using Word 16.27 on a Mac. Thanks!
  • If there is additional text in the footnotes aside from the citation then they will not be converted to in-text citations. If there isn't any additional text in the footnotes, can you reproduce this issue in a new doc?
  • Also, make sure these are actually _footnotes_ -- in the past, converting from _endnotes_ has often caused this issue (and in that case, the simple solution is to convert the doc to footnotes and then to APA)
  • In the OG document I'm starting from, they're definitely footnotes. The thing is it's not *all* the citations, only some that are Zotero citations, not footnotes.
  • I’m not quite following. Are you saying that some citations convert to in-text but others don’t?
  • Two things are happening:
    a) when I add new citations, they are properly formatted as APA
    b) when I copy-paste text (including footnote citations), they are rearranged to APA but stay in the footnote section of the text.
  • If the footnote contains any text besides the citation, it will stay in the footnote rather than move to in text. This yields consistently correct formatting (the extra text indicating that the footnote is really a footnote with expositive text, not just a citation).
  • Ohh I see. I think I had to add the year to the citation because I had two pieces by the same author, so that's probably why. Thank you for clarifying!
  • If you need to manually edit citations, you should use the boxes in the Zotero Add/Edit Citation window to preserve automatic updating.

The citation style should also automatically disambiguate when needed. What style are you using?
  • Ah thank you! I sort of had to figure out Zotero on the go a few years back so I definitely don't know all those tips.

I'm piecing together some original writing with some stuff from my MA thesis (Chicago style). The new document is going to be APA.
  • APA will add the disambiguation letters or additional author names as needed according to the manual. No need for manual modification.
  • Yes! That part is fine. I just had to add them in the original Chicago doc.