Failing to download PDF articles from JSTOR via proxy

This discussion was created from comments split from: Cannot Download Pdf from Jstor.
  • I had the same issue: failing to download PDF articles from JSTOR, accessed with a university proxy, using the Zotero Connector on Firefox.

Debug ID should be D967154594
  • (3)(+0000006): Importing attachment from URL https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/189387.pdf?refreqid=excelsior[…]

(3)(+0000005): Downloading file from https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/189387.pdf?refreqid=excelsior[…]

(5)(+0000001): CookieSandbox: Managing cookies for www.jstor.org

(5)(+0000000): CookieSandbox: Added cookies for request to www.jstor.org

(5)(+0001495): CookieSandbox: Managing cookies for www.jstor.org

(5)(+0000001): CookieSandbox: Slurped cookies from www.jstor.org

(5)(+0000002): CookieSandbox: Managing cookies for www.jstor.org

(5)(+0000000): CookieSandbox: Added cookies for request to www.jstor.org

(5)(+0000001): CookieSandbox: Not touching channel for www.jstor.org

(3)(+0000004): Getting contents of /home/user/Zotero/storage/tmp-SoZyfY/189387.pdf

(2)(+0000002): Downloaded PDF was not a PDF
    Can you provide a Debug ID from the Zotero Connector for a save attempt where this happens as well?
  • edited January 3, 2021
    After some trial and error, this should be a consequence of opening jstor in 'container tabs' (a feature to isolate cookies between different groups of websites). If you're working on the site within a container, then the download fails. If you're using on a non-contained tab, it works.
  • Hi ! I'm not sure to understand what is a "non-contained tab".
  • A normal browser tab.

ie, at least in my case downloading PDFs from jstor works unless I'm using Firefox's 'container tabs' feature (which is usually managed with add-ons like Multi-Account Containers). If you never used or heard of containers then your problem is definitely something different.
  • Thanks, but unfortunately, that's probably not the source of my problem. I never heard of that :)