SOLVED nbib import ISSN issue

edited December 29, 2020
@adamsmith (thanks for considering this)

The Zotero nbib import captures at least one and as many as six ISSNs from the file as supplied by the NLM. These ISSN strings are separated with a space. I request that either these be separated by comma-space or (for my purposes) all but the first ISSN be eliminated.

Importing the same record via PMID using the magic wand only brings in a single ISSN.

The nbib export format includes both the print and electronic ISSNs and also in many cases the Linking-ISSN. Sometimes the nbib file also includes the ISSNs of associated journals. None of the imported ISSNs have labels although the exported ISSNs are labeled -- except when the nbib also includes the ISSNs of associated journals and then these are labeled as though the record has tow (or more) pISSNs and eISSNs. Sometimes the nbib file lists the eISSN first and other times the pISSN is listed first.

For my own purpose I would like only one (any one) of the ISSNs that are for the publishing journal and not an ISSN for associated journals.

I've never seen an nbib file where the associated journal ISSNs are at the beginning of the list.
  • Could you give me a couple of PMIDs for the different scenarios you discuss in this paragraph?

The nbib export format includes both the print and electronic ISSNs and also in many cases the Linking-ISSN. Sometimes the nbib file also includes the ISSNs of associated journals. None of the imported ISSNs have labels although the exported ISSNs are labeled -- except when the nbib also includes the ISSNs of associated journals and then these are labeled as though the record has tow (or more) pISSNs and eISSNs. Sometimes the nbib file lists the eISSN first and other times the pISSN is listed first.
    Doesn't need to cover all of them, but having some variety of data to look at when trying to address this would be helpful.
  • Here are a few PMIDs. I couldn't immediately find one where the ISSNs for associated journals were included in the nbib but I will when I encounter a record again.

You may have a better idea for handling this than the ones I mentioned above.

Best wishes
  • In an update we're now removing duplicate ISSNs on import from nbib.
    I don't have a particularly strong opinion on this, but since we're doing space-separated lists for ISBNs, I'll keep the ISSNs here space separated as well: really shouldn't make any difference on parsing.

Not doing anything on the associated journal question: happy to look at that separately if you find an example.
  • Thank you I marked the request solved.