Style Error report — Chicago 17 (author-date)

Greetings,

I am using Chicago 17 (author-date). I have an online Journal article which has an ID rather than a page number. It has a URL rather than a DOI. The CSL code is not including the URL. The relevant section of the Chicago manual of style is 14.175.

My example: as generated by Zotero
Whitehead, Gary J. 2013. “A Lesson Dashed.” New Jersey English Journal 2 (1): Article 15.

Should be:
Whitehead, Gary J. 2013. “A Lesson Dashed.” New Jersey English Journal 2 (1): Article 15. https://digitalcommons.montclair.edu/nj-english-journal/vol2/iss1/15.

• The CSL style includes the URL. Be sure you have the “include URL for paper articles” box checked in the Cite pane of Zotero preferences
  • Thank you so much.... no that was not selected.
  • I don't think that's necessarily right for the CMoS style otherwise, though: It'd also print the URL for styles with page numbers & no DOI and I think that's incorrect.
  • edited December 12, 2020
    @adamsmith I'm not following the objection... what exactly is not correct for the CMoS? We are talking about a digital/electronically published article. Not a paper published article. CMoS17 seems to make a difference between those.

My reading of CMoS is that print/paper published versions are prefered to not have a URL or a DOI.
    Digital/Electronic published articles are to have a URL with the preference being for a URL version of a DOI.
  • If the box is checked, it will include a URL for paper articles (as the name implies). If you change your item data to have no page, but enter Number: 15 in Extra, does it show up?
  • @bwiernik

Here is what happens when I put number:15 in extra.

Whitehead, Gary J. 2013. “A Lesson Dashed.” New Jersey English Journal 2 (1). https://digitalcommons.montclair.edu/nj-english-journal/vol2/iss1/15.

The same output is produced with the checkbox checked and also not checked.
    It seems that the "15" is not output at all in either case.
  • @adamsmith It looks like adding CSL `number` to Chicago the same way it's used in APA would be a good idea.