Use of short titles with the McGill Uniform Legal Citation

Hi !

So, I'm facing with two annoying issues for my dissertation, and hopefully a code-versed person will be able to help me out...

My faculty requires that I use the McGill citation model for my references. So far, so good.
However I have two problems with subsequent citations, and they are somewhat related...

1) Documents without author

I have to cite several documents (for example international instruments, NGO reports etc.), that don't always have an identifiable author beside the institution itself.
Therefore, the "author" field is left blank.

When I cite the document for the first time, it's not a problem. The reference is simply going to be "title - institution - date - whatever".
Unfortunately, for all subsequent citations, Zotero will not say "Title - supra note 123". It will simply say "note 123"

Concretely, my issue is that my references are beginning to look like that :

note 272 : Convention (I) de Genève sur les blessés et malades des forces armées sur terre, Genève, 1948 art. 15; Convention (II) de Genève sur les blessés, malades et naufragés des forces armées sur mer, Genève, 1949 art. 18; Convention (IV) de Genève sur les personnes civiles, Genève, 1948 art. 16 et 33.
note 273 : note 272 art. 50; note 272 art. 51; note 272 art. 147.
note 274 : note 272 art. 15; Convention (III) de Genève sur les prisonniers de guerre, Genève, 1948 art. 18; note 272 art. 97.

A bit confusing....

Now, I tried to "cheat" by putting the name of the institution in the "author" field. But it didn't solve my problem because.... 2)

2) No recognition of short titles

When I cite different papers from the same author, the supra will not insert the short title, but will only indicate the name of the author.
Therefore the reader have no clue what work I am referring to without going back to the 1st reference (and praying I don't reference different works in that initial reference).

Same thing for my "authorless" documents. The supra won't insert the short title but only the author, when I put one, or will simply show "note 123" (as stated above)

Any help would be most welcome!
  • EDIT : I should probably specify that the short titles are recognized for certain types of document (e.g. articles), but not for all (books, reports....)
  • 2. is tricky/likely not possible to fix. The problem is that Zotero can _either_ insert short titles for all citations or only for those that are truly ambiguous: but because of the supra note, the citations aren't actually ambiguous, they're just super hard to track.
  • Mmmh... I see... I can make it work without the 2), I don't have many occurrences of multiple works from a same author so it's not toooo problematic.
    However, finding a solution to my 1) would be amazing...

Thanks anyway!
  • edited December 4, 2020
    So far, I simply added < text variable="short title" form="short"/ > in subsequent

So basically instead of adding the title in every supra, it's only gonna add the short title for the articles for which I have added a short title in the notice. That's one problem solved..

However, that still only works for journal article, and not for books, reports etc.
    I don't know why...