Interviews that have been published (as book sections or journal articles)

I am working with a lot of interviews that have been published in journals or books, and I can't figure out how to input the interviewer's name in a way that produces the appropriate Chicago citation. I know that the interviewee should be listed as "Author" but the interviewer is not technically a co-author. Here is how Chicago (16th ed.) renders this:

Bellour, Raymond. "Alternation, Segmentation, Hypnosis : Interview with Raymond
Bellour." By Janet Bergstrom. Camera Obscura, nos. 3-4 ( Summer 1979 ):
89-94.

Where should I enter "Janet Bergstrom" to achieve this result?
  • Enter this as a journal article or book chapter and enter the interviewer in Extra like this:
    Interviewer: Bergstrom || Janet
  • Thanks so much. You all have really thought of everything. Is there a list somewhere of all the built in stuff you can do with the "Extra" field? I don't want to have to bug you in the Forums if I can get answers to my questions more easily elsewhere.
  • Ooh, follow-up question: what is the syntax when there are two interviewers? E.g., an interview by Imogen Tyler and Elena Loizidou.

I know I can just type "Interviewer: Loizidou || Imogen Tyler and Elena", but I was wondering if there is a correct way rather than that work around.

Thanks again!
  • Just add each with their own interviewer label on a new line.

See here for generally how to add fields to Extra:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/item_types_and_fields#citing_fields_from_extra
  • Hi everybody,

I'm trying to do the exact same thing and for some reason my 'interviewer' does not show up...
    Any ideias?
    Thank you!
  • What style are you using?
  • Hi bwiernik,

I'm using Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (author-date).

I've tried different extra fields like Original date, for instance, and it works perfect.

Any other added field that is related in any way to authorship just doesn't show in the full bibliographic references...
  • Hi,

I'm having the same problem as nunoneves. Has anyone found some solution or workaround for it?

Thank you!
  • What style are you using?
  • Hi bwiernik,

I'm using Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (author-date). The interviewer is shown with note and full note version, but not with author-date.
  • Hi,
    I have noticed that inserting "Interviewer: Bergstrom || Janet" works with Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (full note), MLA and APA 7th. It does not work with Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (author-date), MHRA, OSCALA, New Hart's Rules or Harvard (various University versions, SAGE Harvard etc).

This is quite a big deal, because for some styles you should enter the interviewee as author and "Interviewer: Bergstrom || Janet" in extra... but for others it would be better to put the interviewer as the author. This is because the title often indicates who is being interviewed (e.g. "Alternation, Segmentation, Hypnosis : Interview with Raymond Bellour.") but not who the interviewer is.

Obviously, it's not feasible to keep changing the author field depending on which style you are going to use (e.g. for different articles sent to different journals).

Is there a way around this (other than editing all the styles)?
  • Different styles are written with varying levels of detail, especially for lesser used and unusual (in their formatting) item types such as Interview. These need to be individually written into every style for which they are to work; no workarounds, PRs welcome.