Style Request: Molecular Plant Pathology

Dear all,

Would someone please create, or help to create a Zotero reference style for the journal Molecular Plant Pathology.

I have checked the repository and the style is not available. The closest match that I have found is Molecular Plant, but it still needs work: there is an extra comma before "and" in the author list, if there are many authors. The journal abbreviations need to be in italics and the journal volume should be followed by comma, not semicolon. There shouldn't be a full stop at the end of the year "(2015)" instead of "(2015).". Also, I think there is a lot to change when it comes to book chapters, if starting with the Molecular Plant style.

Anyway, here are three examples of the style required (from Molecular Plant Pathology webpage):

Jefferson, R.A. (1987) Assaying chimeric genes in plants: the GUS gene fusion system. Plant Mol. Biol. Rep. 5, 387-405.

Steeves, T.A. and Sussex, I.M. (1989) Patterns in Plant Development. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Dangl, J.L., Hahlbrock, K. and Schell, J. (1989) Regulation and structure of chalcone synthase genes. In Plant Nuclear Genes and their Expression Volume 6 (Vasil, I.K. and Schell, J., eds), pp. 155-173. New York: Academic Press.

Note: The authors and the journal volume need to be in bold!

ISSN:
1464-6722 (Print)
1364-3703 (Electronic)
1364-3703 (Linking)

Authors instructions: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/%28ISSN%291364-3703/homepage/ForAuthors.html

Recent publication: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mpp.12159/epdf
  • There is first draft of Molecular Plant Biology Style:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9G2tT5B0K0WcG5iVVFKbnVkdlk/view?usp=sharing

I am waiting for your comments.
  • Hi, LiborA!

Sorry for the late reply, I had to get home to try on the standalone Zotero. Can't install anything on my work computer.

So, thanks for the code! It's awesome that I got such a quick reply!

Here are two things that I have noticed.

-First, the reference in text should have only the first author not the two first. Example: (Merits et al., 1999) not (Merits, Guo, et al., 1999)

-Second, the journal abbreviations at the end of bibliography should have full stops after every abbreviated word. Example 1: J. Virol. not J Virol
    Example 2: Plant Dis. not Plant Dis

Other than these two I can't see anything wrong at the moment.

As I am not sure my original link opens for everyone, here is a link to a free paper from a recent volume: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mpp.12241/epdf

Also, I don't know if it's of any help (I don't know how to test this), but if there are more than one reference listed in brackets after a sentence, the references should be separated by semicolon and they should be in alphabetical order. Example: (Dufresne et al., 2008; Merits et al., 1999; Schaad et al., 1997)

Thanks again for your help!
  • Hi Andres

there is the second draft of Style:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9G2tT5B0K0WNVVwdFhQTm1rX2M/view?usp=sharing

I change these 2 issues:

1. Reference in text have only first author, or first and second author or first author and "et al." fo more then 2 authors (that was my mystake, sorry)

2. Authors in citation are sorted by name in alphabtical order and by year (first draft was sorted only by name); if your citations are not in alphabetical order, than you have unchecked ordering of citation; that is not problem of style; you must change ordering in windows for adding citation to the document. See thiese pictures:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9G2tT5B0K0WMC1RVjlQVUJKNDA/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9G2tT5B0K0WVE05NWpnMDY3aVE/view?usp=sharing

For journal abbreviation please see https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/journal_abbreviations. I am not able change this now by style, but there is journal Plant Disease abbreviated "Plant Dis." not "Plant Dis" in my test document.

I hope, that style works correctly now. Please send me your finding please.

Regards

Libor A.
  • Hi!

Thanks for the improvements! It is getting better.

As I understand there is nothing that can be done for the journal abbreviations, they are as they are in the repository and you can't add any marks to them later? It seems that some of the journals are ok, with full stops at the end of abbreviated words and others don't have them. For example I have correctly Plant Physiol. but incorrectly J Virol

An other thing, it's probably my mistake that I didn't notice this before, but I believe that the reference section all the titles of the publications have only the first word capitalized and other words are not capitalized unless they are organism names or abbreviations like RNA or DNA.

I have no idea if this change can be implemented in the code. Moreover, many journals capitalize each word of the publication titles making it very difficult for bystanders to understand in which case they should be left capitalized and in which case not.

Example:
    How it at the moment is: Ye, C., Dickman, M.B., Whitham, S.A., Payton, M. and Verchot, J. (2011) The Unfolded Protein Response Is Triggered by a Plant Viral Movement Protein. Plant Physiol. 156, 741–755.

How it should be: Ye, C., Dickman, M.B., Whitham, S.A., Payton, M. and Verchot, J. (2011) The unfolded protein response is triggered by a plant viral movement protein. Plant Physiol. 156, 741–755.

Other than that it seems to be ok and I would really like to try this at work on my manuscript even as a "beta" version. Would it be possible to upload the style to Zotero Style Repository as Molecular Plant Pathology (test version)?

You have it Molecular Plant Biology, which is no big mistake, but for other people to find the correct one that should be changed as well.

Looking forward to your comments!

Thanks again for your help, LiborA!

Andres
  • edited August 12, 2015
    Hi Andres,

you can use your own journal abbreviation, but these abbreviation must be in your Zotero database, or you can edit bibliography manually.

Capitalize of first letter of each word is not available by CSL/Zotero, but if you have capitalized first letter in your Zotero database, than in output should be capitalized letters. Style MPP does not change this.

Molecular plant biology instead Molecular plant pathology is my mistake. Sorry.

Are you sure, that you are unable install new style to your work computer? I guess, you do not need administrator privileges for this. Try it. If you still have problem, then try change data directory of Zotero to your document folder. For example I have data directory path D://Documents/Zotero/Data and this folder I synchronize between all my computers, so I am able works on my laptop or private computer at home in the same way as on my workstation in my office.

I found mistake in "eds." vs. "eds". So I prepare third draft and also correct Biology to Pathology. New draft is available here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9G2tT5B0K0WOWhqajFPSDJCMUE/view?usp=sharing

If you (or anybody else) do not find any new problems I will add these version to the Repository.

Regards

Libor
  • We'll add the style shortly, but you can use it on any Zotero version -- you don't have to wait for it to be on the repository.

As for the two issues:
    1.) See here:https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/sentence_casing you need to fix that in your data.

2.) Journal abbreviations work better in the Word add-on (where they're auto-generated) than when going through "Create Bibliography" in Zotero (where Zotero uses the "Journal Abbr." field.) so I'd expect just using that fill fix this for you.
  • Thank you for your help, Libor! The style works great now and I will try to make the adjustments in my local Zotero.

Thank you, Adam, for the two tips. I'll look into it.
  • OK. I create new pull request on Github to add new style into the Repository.
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/pull/1652
  • Hi LiborA,

I am currently using the MPP style and hoping it could be updated for when multiple publications from the same year for an author are cited in-text. For example, currently, my citations are formatting as follows:

(Wu, Xu, Yin, Dai, et al., 2018; Wu, Xu, Yin, Feng, et al., 2018; Wu, Yin, et al., 2018)

Wu, Y., Xu, L., Yin, Z., Dai, Q., Gao, X., Feng, H., Voegele, R.T. and Huang, L. (2018) Two members of the velvet family, VmVeA and VmVelB, affect conidiation, virulence and pectinase expression in Valsa mali. Mol Plant Pathol 19, 1639–1651.
    Wu, Y., Xu, L., Yin, Z., Feng, H. and Huang, L. (2018) Transcription factor VmSeb1 is required for the growth, development, and virulence in Valsa mali. Microbial Pathogenesis 123, 132–138.
    Wu, Y., Yin, Z., Xu, L., Feng, H. and Huang, L. (2018) VmPacC Is Required for Acidification and Virulence in Valsa mali. Front. Microbiol. 9.

It is better to have:

(Wu et al. 2018a, 2018b, 2018c)

Wu, Y., Xu, L., Yin, Z., Dai, Q., Gao, X., Feng, H., Voegele, R.T. and Huang, L. (2018a) Two members of the velvet family, VmVeA and VmVelB, affect conidiation, virulence and pectinase expression in Valsa mali. Mol Plant Pathol 19, 1639–1651.
    Wu, Y., Xu, L., Yin, Z., Feng, H. and Huang, L. (2018b) Transcription factor VmSeb1 is required for the growth, development, and virulence in Valsa mali. Microbial Pathogenesis 123, 132–138.
    Wu, Y., Yin, Z., Xu, L., Feng, H. and Huang, L. (2018c) VmPacC Is Required for Acidification and Virulence in Valsa mali. Front. Microbiol. 9.

Thankyou, and if more details I can provide please let me know.
  • @evan_john what do you mean by "better" -- do you have any indication the journal prefers that (guidance from editors, examples from published articles?)
    Both forms of disambiguating author-date citations with same first authors but different later authors -- adding names and adding a year suffix -- are perfectly valid and exist in styles and styleguides.
  • Hi Adam,

I should have been more explicit. Yes the journal prefers this way, it has been requested directly to me to make these changes during a recent submission.

As a further example see the recent MPP publication "Cercospora beticola: The intoxicating lifestyle of the leaf spot pathogen of sugar beet". The citation (Vaghefi et al., 2017) occurs 3 times and is listed (Vaghefi et al., 2017a), (Vaghefi et al., 2017b), (Vaghefi et al., 2017c) respectively.

Or "The Top 10 fungal pathogens in molecular plant pathology". The citation (Michielse et al., 2009) occurs twice and is similarly formatted as (Michielse et al., 2009a), (Michielse et al., 2009b).

In the MPP author guidelines it has not been made explicit either way. They have provided the example 'Hanson and Hill, 2004a; 2004b' where the two authors were the only authors, hence exactly the same for each publication which is not the case for the above two examples I provide.

Thanks for following up so promptly, I hope this clarifies but if there are any further details happy to try and provide.
  • Great, thanks for that -- the style is now updated. It'll show up on zotero.org/styles shortly
  • Dear All,

I will soon be submitting an article in MPP and the last update does not correspond to the MPP author guideline (23/11/2020)

I have noticed few differences and wish if they can be edited.

According to the guideline:
    Journal article, 7 authors or more

Siah et al. (2010)

Siah, A., Deweer, C., Duyme, F., Sanssené, J., Durand,
    R., Halama, P. et al. (2010) Correlation of in planta
    endo-β-1,4-xylanase activity with the necrotrophic
    phase of the hemibiotrophic fungus Mycosphaerella
    graminicola. Plant Pathology, 59, 661–670.

1. when the number of authors is more than 7, only the first six should be mentioned and add et al. (et al. in italic)
    2. All Latin names should be in italic like Mycosphaerella
    graminicola
    3. the author's name should not be in bold.

For the author's name, I am getting sometimes all the 7 mentioned or only 3 mentioned out of 7 in another reference (so it's not consistent). All my et al. in the references part are not in italic and author's name are in bold

one more point concerning the reference in the text is that et al. should not be in italic (but I have seen both published articles in MPP with and without italic, maybe it's not very mandatory).

Thank you for your help.
  • Thank you for your quick reply.

for my first point (more than 7 authors) is fixed.

However, I still have the et al. (in the reference) that should be in italic also the Latin names need to be in italic (maybe I have to change this manually?)

• We go by typeset papers, i.e. the pdfs of articles.
    The et al. is not in italics there.
    Latin/Greek names is something you need to do manually yourself within your data in Zotero.
  • one more important point that I just noticed is that the journal names are not fully written (only abbreviations) and it needs to be written fully.
    example Molecular Plant Pathology and instead of Mol Plant Pathol

As for the Latin/Greek names, how can I italicized the title in my Zotero data manually? I asked for this modification because I couldn't find a tool in Zotero to do it.

Thank you for your help.
  • Excuse me but I think you have sent the same link as before. No new changes are made in the last one. At least the journal names are still in abbreviation.

Thank you
  • Thank you very much for your help!