pubs.acs.org problem

The Zotero icon does not display in the adressbar, for example when opening the sample article http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/sample.cgi/chreay/2007/107/i01/html/cr068027+.html (should be freely accessible)

I use Firefox 2.0.0.1 on Linux with Zotero 1.0.0b3.r1, installed extensions are Adblock, Chatzilla, DOM Inspector, Download Statusbar, Firebug, FireFTP, FoxyProxy, Greasemonkey, gTranslate, Linkification, Live HTTP Headers, NoScript, Quick Locale Switcher, Stylish, Web Developer and Zotero. The problem persists even if all extensions save Zotero are desacivated... Any ideas?
  • I have now loaded beta 4 of Zotero and this is still a problem with all ACS journals. No icon showing.

Also, from the link in the post above, select the 'Download to Citation Manager' link, then download the citation in EndNote format. Zotero does not catch this .enw file and it has to be manually imported into Zotero. Yes, the 'Use Zotero for Downloaded EndNote files' pref is on and works for other sites.

I have tried this on both OS X and Win XP. Mime headers from OS X session for citation download below:

Response Headers
    Date Wed, 28 Mar 2007 23:31:03 GMT
    Set-Cookie REQUESTIP=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; path=/
    Content-Length 463
    content-disposition attachment; filename=EndNote.enw
    X-Powered-By Servlet/2.4 JSP/2.0
    Keep-Alive timeout=15, max=100
    Connection Keep-Alive
    Content-Type application/EndNote
    Request Headers
    Host pubs.acs.org
    User-Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3
    Accept text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
    Accept-Language en-us,en;q=0.5
    Accept-Encoding gzip,deflate
    Accept-Charset ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
    Keep-Alive 300
    Connection keep-alive
    Referer http://pubs.acs.org/wls/journals/citation2/Citation?jid=cr068027%2b
    Cookie pubs=OVYWVJS172.25.1.54CKMII; wc=OVYWVJS172.23.10.111CKMYY; REQUESTIP=x.x.x.x; OpenURL_Saved_SubscriberId=null; JSESSIONID=xJG5GK5G1ylp6pl9XSl2S2sv11L6lR0gfHwcgxr2nPgvr3zPyQzN!-1974165090!-169204189

Cheers,

Simon
  • The icon should definitely be showing on the page you suggest. Could you please send me your console output when visiting that page?
  • My Zotero doesn't catch the EndNote file from the 'Download to Citation Manager' link cited above either, although it catches most other EndNote files. Again, it's here:

http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/sample.cgi/chreay/2007/107/i01/html/cr068027+.html

(I do correctly get an article icon for the page though)
  • The problem is that on various sites "Endnote files" sometimes means RIS (which we automatically import) and other times means .enw (which we don't yet automatically import) and still other times just means a full display record (basically impossible to parse).

It's kind of a moot point in this case since for ACS the Zotero icon displays and provides a complete import.
  • This is really helpful clarification, Sean. Could the wording in the Zotero preferences pane be amended so that users actually might expect this behavior? e.g. "Use Zotero for downloaded EndNote (RIS) files"?

It is a moot point here indeed, but the problem does arise for the *canonical* citation source in my subject, which is The Philosopher's Index. I'm accessing it through something called "Ovid Technologies WebSPIRS 5.12", which is common to some other important databases like Medline as well.
    I would dearly like Zotero to either translate the pages, or intercept the "Export to Procite, EndNote or Reference Manager" option the site offers (this provides me with a .ovd file that EndNote says it cannot find an import filter for if I attempt to import it).
    I gather that "ovid support" has been added to Zotero, but whatever that is, it's not helping here. Should it? Can I offer any more information that would be helpful?