Can't start Zotero

This discussion was created from comments split from: Cannot open Zotero.
  • I have the same problem and received from Terminal the reply
    The default interactive shell is now zsh.
    To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`.
    For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050.
    MacBook-Pro-2:~ helenecazes1$ /Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/MacOS/zotero -ZoteroDebug
    WARNING: At least one completion condition is taking too long to complete. Conditions: [{"name":"Sqlite.jsm shutdown blocker","state":{"description":"Waiting for connections to close","state":[{"name":"zotero.sqlite#0: waiting for shutdown","state":{"identifier":"zotero.sqlite#0","isCloseRequested":false,"hasDbConn":true,"hasInProgressTransaction":false,"pendingStatements":0,"statementCounter":4},"filename":"resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm","lineNumber":250,"stack":["resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:ConnectionData:250","resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:OpenedConnection:1143","resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:openConnection/</<:953"]}]},"filename":"resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm","lineNumber":148,"stack":["resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:null:148","resource://gre/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm:get:194","resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:ConnectionData:250","resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:OpenedConnection:1143","resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:openConnection/</<:953"]}] Barrier: profile-before-change
    WARNING: At least one completion condition is taking too long to complete. Conditions: [{"name":"zotero.sqlite#0: waiting for shutdown","state":{"identifier":"zotero.sqlite#0","isCloseRequested":false,"hasDbConn":true,"hasInProgressTransaction":false,"pendingStatements":0,"statementCounter":4},"filename":"resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm","lineNumber":250,"stack":["resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:ConnectionData:250","resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:OpenedConnection:1143","resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:openConnection/</<:953"]}] Barrier: Sqlite.jsm: wait until all connections are closed
    FATAL ERROR: AsyncShutdown timeout in profile-before-change Conditions: [{"name":"Sqlite.jsm shutdown blocker","state":{"description":"Waiting for connections to close","state":[{"name":"zotero.sqlite#0: waiting for shutdown","state":{"identifier":"zotero.sqlite#0","isCloseRequested":false,"hasDbConn":true,"hasInProgressTransaction":false,"pendingStatements":0,"statementCounter":4},"filename":"resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm","lineNumber":250,"stack":["resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:ConnectionData:250","resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:OpenedConnection:1143","resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:openConnection/</<:953"]}]},"filename":"resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm","lineNumber":148,"stack":["resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:null:148","resource://gre/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm:get:194","resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:ConnectionData:250","resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:OpenedConnection:1143","resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm:openConnection/</<:953"]}] At least one completion condition failed to complete within a reasonable amount of time. Causing a crash to ensure that we do not leave the user with an unresponsive process draining resources.
    WARNING: No crash reporter available
    [2741, Main Thread] ###!!! ABORT: file resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm, line 148
    [2741, Main Thread] ###!!! ABORT: file resource://gre/modules/Sqlite.jsm, line 148
    Segmentation fault: 11
    MacBook-Pro-2:~ helenecazes1$
  • PS I am on Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7
  • (For complicated issues like this, it's always better start a new thread. This is specific to your system, not a general problem. I've moved this to a new thread.)

Have you tried simply restarting your computer?
  • Thank you. Yes, I restarted the computer and reinstalled the latest version of Zotero. Same thing and no other choice than Quit/Look for updates when the Zotero window opens, with the message _initDB<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js:778:12
  • I also tried to Debug through Terminal.
  • If you can't submit a Debug ID from the debug window, we'd want the text output from the terminal, as explained in https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#alternativelogging_to_the_terminal

You can email the text output to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread.

Also, can you check whether there are any errors in the Error Console? See https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#alternativeerror_console

Is your Zotero data directory set to the default location, or did you set it to another location (e.g., a network drive)? If it's in the standard location, are you running any non-standard security software?
  • NS_ERROR_READ_ONLY
    While this should result in a clearer error message, it looks like Zotero simply can't write to your database. Check the permissions of the Zotero data directory. You said this is on external storage, so if you're accessing this from multiple systems it's entirely possible the permissions just aren't set to allow write access by your user account on this computer.
  • THANK YOU. Yes, it appears that I can "read only". The problem is with the storage but how do I change the settings without opening Zotero? The only choice I am given is to Quit...
  • Well, it's not really about Zotero — you'd want to fix the permissions of that folder in your filesystem.
  • YES. I unlocked the card, all is there. MANY THANKS for your patience and your help.