Changing the formatting of a bibliography to look like citation

Apologies if this is a duplicate post; couldn't find what I was looking for.

How do I change the formatting of my bibliography (using slightly modified Chicago 17 author-date style) to be in a citation-type formatting rather than a bibliography-type formatting?

In other words, I want my bibliography to be styled like this:
Aaron, D. H.
2001. Biblical Ambiguities: Metaphor, Semantics and Divine Imagery (The Brill Reference Library of Ancient Judaism 4; Leiden: Brill).

not like this:
Aaron, D. H.
2001. Biblical Ambiguities: Metaphor, Semantics and Divine Imagery. The Brill Reference Library of Ancient Judaism 4. Leiden: Brill.

(There are hundreds of entries so I don't want to do it manually.)

Thanks for any help!
  • So you just want to remove the parentheses from the bibliography entries?
  • the other way around -- add them
  • Is this for a specific publisher or institution? Do you have a link to the style guide?
  • To answer the first question, it is about that simple in the example I gave above, but more complicated in other examples.

It is for the journal Currents in Biblical Research, which has a very eclectic guide available here:
    https://journals.sagepub.com/pb-assets/cmscontent/CBI/CBRStyleGuide_Updated_2020.pdf

It turns out there is a CSL file for the Currents in Biblical Research style, but it has numerous errors in it and would be just as much trouble to fix as manually correctly the existing entries.
  • It looks like we need a new style yes. Is the exciting one close? Can you make a list of the errors that need to be fixed?
  • Common errors include:
    - No semicolon between a series and the location
    - DOI included when it shouldn't be (I fixed this but deleted the final period in the process)
    - Spaces between editors initials in a chapter of an edited volume (there shouldn't be spaces)
    - Entries indented using spaces rather than tabs, which makes it difficult to update spacing for all entries automatically.
    - Long dashes for page ranges rather than short dashes
    - Doesn't use journal abbreviations in Zotero (e.g., see Kruger below)
    - Doesn't note when the scholar is an editor of a volume among a list of other resources they've authored (see van Hecke 2010 Metaphors in the Psalms)
    - Weird date entry when it's not just a year (see van Hecke and Labahn 2010 below with "December 31")
    - Weird entry in between van Hecke 2005a and 2005b.

Here are some samples:

This is what it does now:

van Hecke, P.
    2001 ‘Shepherds and Linguists: A Cognitive-Linguistic Approach to the Metaphor “God Is Shepherd” in Gen 48,15 and Context’, in Á. Wénin (ed.), Studies in the Book of Genesis: Literature, Redaction and History (BETL 155Leuven: Leuven University Press): 479–93
    2005a ‘Conceptual Blending: A Recent Approach to Metaphor Illustrated with the Pastoral Metaphor in Hos 4,16’, in P. van Hecke (ed.), Metaphor in the Hebrew Bible (BETL 187Leuven: Leuven University Press): 215–31
    ed.
    2005b Metaphor in the Hebrew Bible (BETL 187Leuven: Leuven University Press)
    2005c ‘Pastoral Metaphors in the Hebrew Bible and in Its Ancient Near Eastern Context’, in J. C. de Moor and R. P. Gordon (eds.), The Old Testament in Its World: Papers Read at the Winter Meeting, January 2003, The Society for Old Testament Study and at the Joint Meeting, July 2003, The Society for Old Testament Study and Het Oudtestamentisch Werkgezelschap in Nederland en België (Oudtestamentische Studiën 52Leiden: Brill): 200–217
    2010 From Linguistics to Hermeneutics: A Functional and Cognitive Approach to Job 12-14 (Studia Semetica Neerlandica 55Leiden: Brill)
    2018 ‘“For I Will Be Like a Lion to Ephraim”: Leonine Metaphors in the Twelve Prophets’, in H.-J. Fabry (ed.), The Books of the Twelve Prophets: Minor Prophets, Major Theologies (BETL 295Leuven: Peeters): 387–402
    van Hecke, P., and A. Labahn, ed.
    2010 Metaphors in the Psalms (BETL 231Leuven: Peeters), December 31
    Kruger, P. A.
    2015 ‘Emotions in the Hebrew Bible: A Few Observations on Prospects and Challenges’, Old Testament Essays 28: 395–420

This is what it should do (except for tabbed indents which don't show here in these comments):

van Hecke, P.
    2001 ‘Shepherds and Linguists: A Cognitive-Linguistic Approach to the Metaphor ‘God Is Shepherd’ in Gen 48,15 and Context’, in Á. Wénin (ed.), Studies in the Book of Genesis: Literature, Redaction and History (BETL 155; Leuven: Leuven University Press) 479-93.
    2005a ‘Conceptual Blending: A Recent Approach to Metaphor Illustrated with the Pastoral Metaphor in Hos 4,16’, in P. van Hecke (ed.), Metaphor in the Hebrew Bible (BETL 187; Leuven: Leuven University Press) 215-31.
    2005b (ed.) Metaphor in the Hebrew Bible (BETL 187; Leuven: Leuven University Press).
    2005c ‘Pastoral Metaphors in the Hebrew Bible and in Its Ancient Near Eastern Context’, in J.C. de Moor and R.P. Gordon (eds.), The Old Testament in Its World: Papers Read at the Winter Meeting, January 2003, The Society for Old Testament Study and at the Joint Meeting, July 2003, The Society for Old Testament Study and Het Oudtestamentisch Werkgezelschap in Nederland En België (Oudtestamentische Studiën 52; Leiden: Brill) 200-217.
    2010 From Linguistics to Hermeneutics: A Functional and Cognitive Approach to Job 12–14 (Studia Semetica Neerlandica 55; Leiden: Brill).
    2018 ‘“For I Will Be Like a Lion to Ephraim”: Leonine Metaphors in the Twelve Prophets’, in H.-J. Fabry (ed.), The Books of the Twelve Prophets: Minor Prophets, Major Theologies (BETL 295; Leuven: Peeters) 387-402.
    van Hecke, P., and A. Labahn (eds.)
    2010 Metaphors in the Psalms (BETL 231; Leuven: Peeters).
    Kruger, P.A.
    2015 ‘Emotions in the Hebrew Bible: A Few Observations on Prospects and Challenges’, OTE 28: 395-420.

And I know there are more errors!

I think it's too much trouble to automate this. I'll keep chugging away at manual fixes and hopefully be done within a few days!