Error running pdfinfo.exe

I have been struggling to get Zotero to index all of my files. When I run "Rebuild index" on the unindexed PDFs and display the debug (D2104877960), I get this:

=============

(3)(+0000001): Indexing item 1/63V7344M

(3)(+0000007): Running C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\pdfinfo.exe 'C:\Users\username\Zotero\storage\63V7344M\filename.pdf' 'C:\Users\username\Zotero\storage\63V7344M\.zotero-ft-info'

(1)(+0000046): Error running C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\pdfinfo.exe

(1)(+0000000): Error: C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\pdfinfo.exe returned exit status 99 Error: C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\pdfinfo.exe returned exit status 99 observe@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/utilities_internal.js:889:27 From previous event: Zotero.FullText</this.indexItems@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/fulltext.js:555:15

(3)(+0000001): Running C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\pdftotext.exe '-datadir' 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\poppler-data' '-nopgbrk' '-l' '20000' 'C:\Users\username\Zotero\storage\63V7344M\filename.pdf' 'C:\Users\username\Zotero\storage\63V7344M\.zotero-ft-cache'

(1)(+0000052): Error running C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\pdftotext.exe

(1)(+0000000): Error: C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\pdftotext.exe returned exit status 1 Error: C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\pdftotext.exe returned exit status 1 observe@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/utilities_internal.js:889:27 From previous event: Zotero.FullText</this.indexItems@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/fulltext.js:555:15

=============

I uninstalled and reinstalled Zotero, and do not have any third-party antivirus utilities installed. I checked the Zotero directory and can verify that the pdfinfo.exe and pdftotext.exe files are the files that came with the Zotero reinstall I just completed.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • Not much we can tell you — this would generally be due to some some sort of security restriction on your computer.

You can try opening up a cmd prompt and running pdfinfo or pdftext without arguments to see whether you can run them normally and, if not, whether there's a clearer error message.
  • @internationaled: There was a problem with pdfinfo in 5.0.91 on Windows that would cause "Unknown" to appear. That's fixed in 5.0.92, available now.

pdftotext shouldn't have been affected, though, so if you're still seeing that after upgrading to 5.0.92, that's likely a separate issue. That might happen if the PDF is password-protected. If it's working in general but you're seeing this for a specific non-password-protected PDF, you can email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread and we can take a look.