Zotero and Book Chapter

Hi there,

What is the best way to add a scan pdf with only the chapter from one book? I'm having problems with this kind of document, because usually Zotero doesn't get the info necessary from the original book.

For example: I'm only interested in this chapter: 206-209 Lippold, Georg: Typos, from this book:
https://digi.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/diglit/jdi1925

I had to manually enter information because it didn't recognize very well automatically.

thanks
  • I'd import the book at a whole, make a copy, change the item type to book section and then enter the rest manually and add the PDF to that.

Where chapters have DOIs, such as here, it's often possible to import via the DOI, but these particular DOIs have so little metadata that it's probably not worth it.
  • The problem is that of you change from book to book section, title and authors are not the same. Eg: companions. I think it would be nice if zotero had, at a book section document type, an automatic way to import these data from the source book, like a nested node, a node for a book and other for a book chapter.
  • The Zutilo plugin adds an option to the Right Click menu to create a book section from a book item and vice versa.
  • Great. I'll give it a try.
  • The problem is that of you change from book to book section, title and authors are not the same.
    FWIW, while Zutilo adds some additional shortcuts, Zotero already switches the title to book title and authors to book authors when switching the item type from book to book section.
  • I didn't find this option using Zutilo, are you sure?
  • And no, when you yu have a book and switch to book section, Zotero thinks that all books sections are from the same author, and a lot of books, mainly companions, have organizer and editors and each chapter is from a diffferent author.
  • when you yu have a book and switch to book section, Zotero thinks that all books sections are from the same author, and a lot of books, mainly companions, have organizer and editors and each chapter
    Sorry, I misremembered, the author of a book doesn't turn into book author, but typically, as you say, that'd be an editor and they'd be the same for the book and the chapter. You'd then have to manually add the chapter author: no way Zotero could know that.
    So in a typical workflow for adding a chapter, all you need to do is:
    1. Duplicate item
    2. change to book section
    3. add chapter title, chapter author, and page range

Zutilo (yes, the option is definitely there) collapses 1+2 and also creates an item relation automatically. 3. will always be manual.
  • my zutilo from endless linux copy of zotero doenst' have it. i'll try your way adanm, thanks
  • See https://github.com/willsALMANJ/Zutilo/blob/master/docs/COMMANDS.md
    Note that not all of Zutilo's options are available from the context menu by default -- there'd be too many. You may need to activate it in the Zutilo preferences.
  • I domn't have all these options!
    At addon-manager, there isn1t any preferences to trickle
  • The Zutilo preferences would be under "Tools" in the Zotero menu. If you don't have that menu, that'd be a problem with your Zotero version.
  • ok, i found it. thank you very much