BUG: Cleaning my Trash

Hello,

After using Zotero 5.0 for a month now, I had some items in my trash. Yesterday I decided to empty it, but it was harder to do than just [select all] > [Right click] > Delete Items. I've found two reasons why:

1) When a parent-child item is expanded, I can not delete this 'family'. By collapsing it, I can delete it.
2) When one or more child-items is lost (for ever), I can not delete this 'family' at all.

So, is this the correct way of reporting this bug?
  • edited October 10, 2020
    1) When a parent-child item is expanded, I can not delete this 'family'. By collapsing it, I can delete it.
    That's a known issue. You can press "-" to collapse all items.
    2) When one or more child-items is lost (for ever), I can not delete this 'family' at all.
    Not sure what you mean by this.

But you can just right-click on the trash and choose Empty Trash, which is why this isn't a priority. Items will also be purged after 30 days (by default).
  • edited October 11, 2020
    Thanks for this reply.

2) For some reason I have parents and child items that are grey-ish. It seems that when I moved an child item to the trash, a (copy?) of the parent is in de trash too, with that moved child item. With the mov ed child item in black, and the parent item in gray-ish. When I try to open this item in Trash, sometimes I can open the file/link and sometimes I get this error:

"The attached file could not be found at the following path:

[Path to item]

It may have been moved or deleted outside of Zotero, or a Linked Attachment Base Directory may be set incorrectly on one of your computers."

Either way, I can not delete the items by just [right click] > Delete Item... Nor those [Right click on Trash] > Empty Trash... do the necessary trick.

EDIT: Hum, when I go to another map and back to the Trash, every thing is now gone...
  • No, this has nothing to do with attached files.
    2) For some reason I have parents and child items that are grey-ish. It seems that when I moved an child item to the trash, a (copy?) of the parent is in de trash too, with that moved child item. With the mov ed child item in black, and the parent item in gray-ish.
    This is just how "context rows" work in Zotero. A gray item is an item that's shown for context — e.g., a child item's parent — that doesn't actually match the current search or view. The gray item isn't actually in the trash, and so you won't be able to purge it from the trash.