Report ID : 2126977407 - quoting problems on Libre office on Mac OS X

Hello,

I am using Zotero 5.0.90 & Libre office 7.0.0.3 on Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina (but I already had the same problem when using an older version of libre office).

When I try to quote a document on Libre Office, either Zotero won't make the quote (nothing happens when I push the button "quote"), or, when I insist, the footnote appears, with "Quotation" in it, but without the actual quote. If I insist further, Open Office consistently crashes, and then Zotero will not quit by itself, I have to use Command + Q then Command-Alt-Esc.

I had a "normal quoting session" this morning after changing the quote window (LO didn't crash, using the "new" quote window) , but the same thing as before happened when I tried to refresh the quotes (LO crashed, then Zotero wouldn't quit on its own). I tried reinstalling Java, without any positive results.

I hope this description has enough details.

Any clue?

Thanks in advance!

• What version of Java do you have installed? Does it work better with the stable LibreOffice 6.4 release?
  • Hello, thanks for your answer, actually it did look better with the new release of Libre Office (7.0) but over the time the old problems are returning. It didn't really work better with Libre Office 6.4 actually. I have Java version 8.0 261.
  • Could you produce a Debug ID from Zotero for the operation that causes the LibreOffice crash?

1. In the Zotero Help menu, go to Debug Output Logging and select Enable.
    2. Perform the operation that causes LibreOffice to crash.
    3. Before doing anything else, return to Zotero Help → Debug Output Logging and click Submit Output, which will disable logging and submit the output to zotero.org. A window should pop up containing a Debug ID. Click “Copy to Clipboard” and paste the Debug ID into this forum thread.
  • Actually, I tried doing that, but there is never anything that gets registered in the menu. I start up the application, but the Debug Output Logging is empty
  • Ok,after going into the advanced configuration panel it worked. So there is my debug ID :
    D713587238
  • Did this produce a LibreOffice crash?
  • edited November 17, 2020
    @xtenezakis In fact, you should try downgrading to LibreOffice 6.4.6 and try again. There are some known issues with LibreOffice 7 and Java compatibility, particularly on macOS that should be addressed to some extent with LibreOffice 7.1
  • ok thanks ! yes actually it did produce an Libre Office crash
  • edited October 10, 2020
    Hum now I made Zotero crash on its own actually, still doesn't work in its full extent :
    D703196382 . Actually I wonder if the problem is not in Zotero in itself.
    Edit : more recent, complete debug log :
    D1847901041
  • Hello,

The bug has returned stronger than ever. When I try to quote a document on Libre Office, either Zotero won't make the quote (nothing happens when I push the button "quote"), or, when I insist, the footnote appears, with "Quotation" in it, but without the actual quote. If I insist further, Open Office consistently crashes, and then Zotero either says that there is a bug with the update of the document, either won't quit by itself, and I have to use Command + Q then Command-Alt-Esc.

Debug reference :
    D2041606294
  • OpenOffice or LibreOffice? What exact version are you currently using?
  • Hello, thanks for your answer. I am on Libre Office 6.4.6 (just updated on 6.4.7 : still the same problem)
  • I'm assuming this is quite a big document you're working on? Does the plugin behave well in a new document? If so, see debugging broken documents
  • Ok, thanks for your comment, it is a very big document. I tried with other files which are working pretty neatly, so that must be it.
  • I just spent 2 hours on debugging, and what actually noticed is that, when I reduce the size of the document I am working on, the problem tends to disappear, without the real possibility of isolating problematic quotes. So I guess the main solution is maybe to try to work separately on chapters and unifying the whole document in the end.
  • That will work. Out of curiosity how big is the document? How many citations? macOS and LibreOffice has had a difficult history in general since few LibreOffice devs use macOS and it's undersupported compared to Linux or Windows, but it's got much better than where it was 3-4 years ago.
  • Actually it includes like 1029 quotes, for 500 pages.