IEEE modification

I know nothing in CSL style creation but I need to change something in IEEE style. I have read through some of the style topics, but I still do not understand how to add the syntax to IEEE default style to show URL and last accessed date. I am using Zotero 2.0b6. Your help is very much appreciated.
  • Hi,
    please provide a sample quotation of how exactly you want it to look - i.e. does it need an "accessed" date, in what format should the date be, what should it say before etc.
    Ideally, the citation would be from a major journal, maybe even one issued by IEEE.
    I'll be happy to implement it then and post the style.
  • Thanks for the fast reply. I am writing for my thesis actually, no specific styles but i would like to base it on IEEE default style provided with Zotero but it does not show the URL and the accessed date. I would like it to be

Title. Full URL address. Last accessed on date.
    e.g.
    "Zotero Citation Style Modification". http://www.zotero.org/abc.html. Last accessed on July 26, 2009.

By the way, may I know how to reset the citation cite order, i.e. [9,5,6,8,10] to [5,6,8-10]?

Thank you.
  • Try this
    http://gist.github.com/155875
    use the raw link at the top right with right click -> save as to download and then drag to Zotero.
    I won't post this to the style repository yet, as I would like a standard format for the URL.
    It would be great if one of the many people requesting IEEE with URL would go through the minimal trouble and provide some authoritative examples of how exactly this is supposed to look, rather than just say "Include the URL".

I don't understand the question on citation order. IEEE, it is my understanding, always orders by number of citation and I could not reproduce anything else. Could you give an example in which you get the this? [9,5,6,8,10]
    In any case that's what it should do - I seem to remember there have been some issues with this in the past - e.g. this stops to work if you sort the bibliography alphabetically...
  • edited July 27, 2009
    Thank you very much for the help. Could I have the URL and last accessed shown only for webpage citation type? I can't help much in the official IEEE style, as I don't really understand the guideline. The journal article type is okay, the reader still can find by googling the title. However, for webpage citations, only the title is shown if I used the default IEEE style in zotero, that is why I would like the IEEE style to show URL and last accessed date for it.

Sorry for the confusion about the citing order. What I meant is beside deleting the citation and redo it. Are there anyway i could make the citing order to sort numerically? I don't really care about IEEE rules here. I just want to make it look nice.

Thank you for your effort and time.
  • As for the URL for articles - the default setting for Zotero is to not include URLs for articles if pages numbers are provided. Does that not work?
    (The option to include/exclude them can be toggled in the preferences under the export tab).
    The alternative would be quite a bit more work, so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

I still don't follow on citation order. How do you get [9, 5, 6, 8] in IEEE (i.e. the style in Zotero, regardless of what the guidlines say)? It's not supposed to ever do that...
  • That is it. I did not uncheck the box. Sorry for that.

My citation just show up like this:

Sentence blah, blah [16,2].
    instead of
    Sentence blah, blah [2,16].

I am using word 2007 with word plug-in and the CSL style you provided earlier. Is it something to do with "Keep source sorted"? I think it is checked the last time I enter the citation.
  • Ah yes. If the "keep sources sorted" box is _not_ checked, you can get [16, 2] (the citations stay in the order you add them - that's at least what my plugin (Ooo) does, there is a small chance that that behavior is not unified - which would be good to fix, so please report back). But in any case - it's definitely that box.
    The reason that's possible is so that you can write stuff like [16, cf. 2 for a broader overview].
    Unfortunately you can't change that after the fact, so you'll have to redo those citations.
  • edited July 28, 2009
    Yup, I did some small experiments. If the box is checked, the citations sort numerically, otherwise is just like what you said. Unfortunately, I did the citations using ealier version of Zotero (I think the default setting last time is to sort alphabetically according to author's name or something else). I would need some time to redo the citation, and will report if there is any inconsistent behavior.

Thank you so much for the very fast reply. The next thing I hope to see is the ability to resize the add citation window (I could use some space to see a longer title, especially when adding a multiple citations). I understand that is to make the window on top of Word, but maybe there is another solution. Sorry for not able to help more in this matter but demanding more.

Keep up the good work.
  • It is just with me or nobody else observed as error on the position of , and " in title of ieee style?

For example, in my documents, the IEEE style generate the follow bibliography:

[57] A. de Araujo, M. Sonoda, O. Piro, e E. Castellano, “Development of new Cd2+ and Pb2+ Lennard-Jones parameters for liquid simulations,” JOURNAL OF PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY B, vol. 111, Mar. 2007, pp. 2219-2224.

Look at the end of paper title: ...for liquid simulations,”. The position between " and , is exchanged! The problem is that I'm new with zotero and I don't know how to fix this. Could someone help me with this???

Thanks!

Alexandre
  • The current usage is correct, at least in English:
    " Universal American usage places commas and periods inside the quotation marks, regardless of logic." ( http://grammartips.homestead.com/inside.html )

It is not currently possible to change, but there is some discussion about this and I believe fbennett has indicated that the new CSL processor will be able to deal with this.
  • Hi Adam

This example you showed is about an dialog. The case here is a scientific citation where the quotation marks are there just to emphasize the paper title and the comma is a delimiter between title and journal name.

But if it is no possible to change by now, it's ok. I'll try to use another style which the title is not quoted and the citations are between brackets like IEEE (any suggestion?)

Cheers

Alexandre
  • Alexandre: If you are writing American English, commas are always, without exception, inside the quotation marks.
    If you don't believe me, check the IEEE style manual on page 33
    [B1] Boggs, S. A., and Fujimoto, N., “Techniques and instrumentation for measurement of transients in gas-insulated switchgear,” IEEE Transactions on Electrical Installation, vol. ET-19, no. 2, pp. 87–92, Apr. 1984.

http://standards.ieee.org/guides/style/2009_Style_Manual.pdf

so the style is correct.

Not sure if there is a style like the one you want. It's pretty easy to take the quotation marks out of IEEE if you want to quickly edit your .csl
    for general instructions see here:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/5104/modifying-word-plugin-using-journal-abbreviation-instead-of-publication-name/#Item_2
  • edited August 2, 2009
    More generally - since I have found the style guide for IEEE now - it says to consult CMOS for everything not covered by the style guide.
    CMOS includes the URL of web pages etc. but without any mention of the access date.

I've found this in IEEE Software (the journal)
    http://scg.unibe.ch/archive/papers/Duca07a-SeasideIEEE-SCG.pdf
    it uses semicolon and then the URL. No last accessed. (Interestingly in this case even where page numbers are given, but that may be going too far).
  • edited August 2, 2009
    Hi Guys.

It was not a problem to believe or not, but it was just not logical to me. Whatever... now it is clear to me that this is the right way in English and in IEEE style.

Thanks by the help!

Alexandre
  • edited August 2, 2009
    Configurable punctuation placement has been approved for CSL 1.0, and has been implemented in the bench-test version of the new CSL processor. Here are three test fixtures used to check the functionality: This one was tough to implement, but it seems to be working, and as Dan says, will become available when the new processor comes out.
  • There should be an error in the way Zotero builds the IEEE style reference. I'm sure you will better understand me looking at this example. A. This is an example of correct citation taken from one IEEE journal:

A. Correct reference taken from the IEEE journal:

[1] L. B. Sjogren, H.-X. L. Liu, F. Wang, T. Liu, X.-H. Qin, W. Wu, E. Chung, C. W. Domier, and N. C. Luhmann, Jr, “A monolithic diode array millimeter-wave beam transmittance controller,” IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., vol. 41, no. 10, pp. 1782–1790, Oct. 1993.

B. This is the reference generated by Zotero 2.0b6.3 (last version of IEEE style)

[1] L. Sjogren, H. Liu, Feng Wang, T. Liu, Xiao-Hui Qin, Wenhsing Wu, E. Chung, C. Domier, e N. Luhmann, “A monolithic diode array millimeter-wave beam transmittance controller,” Microwave Theory and Techniques, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 41, 1993, pagg. 1782-1790.

As you can see there are some important differences.

1. Zotero uses italian abbreviations, at least in my case: "e" instead of "and" and "pagg" instead of "pp".

2. The name of the journal is inverted. It should be "IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques" (or, if possible the abbreviated version "IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech.") and not "Microwave Theory and Techniques, IEEE Transactions on". This error is generated for all IEEE journals.

I've noticed this errors while submitting a manuscript to IEEE. The reviewers pointed out this errors.

I hope could be fixed soon. Thank you.

• Zotero uses italian abbreviations, at least in my case: "e" instead of "and" and "pagg" instead of "pp".
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/bibliographies_in_different_languages
    The name of the journal is inverted.
    The name of the journal comes from the metadata entered in the right pane of Zotero (or saved from where you downloaded the reference), so this is, if anything, an issue with Zotero's IEEE Xplore translator. We could adjust this in the translator if people thought that was best, but this is how the site is serving the name.

Journal abbreviations have been discussed, but for now you just get whatever is entered in the right-hand pane.
  • 1). Guessing from your name, I'm guessing your copy of Zotero is in Italian, right? Zotero uses the locale of Firefox to localize the bibliographies it generates. To set the bibliography locale to English, follow these instructions: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/3731/a-problem-about-creating-bibliography-in-nonenglish-environment/?Focus=16040#Comment_16040

2). This isn't an issue with the way Zotero generates bibliographies. You should just correct the journal names for your Zotero items.
  • Dan and Rintze, thanks for your reply. Issue 1 is not emended.
    Issue 2 is still there and, as Rintze says, there is just nothing to do, I have to correct it manually. That's not so nice but if it is the only think I can do....

Ciao, Luigi
  • Hi,

I am new to Zotero.
    I am using IEEE explorer all the time and the journal name issue brought up by Iboccia is really annoying to me. I have to manually modify the journal and conference name. I know it is not a bug of Zotero, but it would be great if Zotero can change it automatically.
    Thanks.
  • I do not know how to do it but I can see that the required changes are almost standard. It is just needed to remove from the end of the journal's name the phrase "IEEE Transactions on," or "IEEE proceedings" and put it at the begginng without the comma.
  • If IEEE Xplore users are more or less in agreement that it is desirable, I can adjust the translator to fix the titles. Does this only affect "IEEE Transactions on,"? Is the phrase always precisely that?
  • edited May 28, 2011
    Hi AjLyon,

some time ago you were mentioning to the possibility to correct the IEEE bibliography error present in Zotero that is:

The name of the journal is inverted. It should be "IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques" (or, if possible the abbreviated version "IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech.") and not "Microwave Theory and Techniques, IEEE Transactions on". This error is generated for all IEEE journals.

Considering that there are different IEEE journals (IET, IRE, etc) I think that a good hack could be to identify the wrong name of the journal as it is extracted by Zotero as:

<Part A> "," <Part B>

e.g.
    Part A: Microwave Theory and Techniques

Part B: IEEE Transactions on

two parts are always separated by a coma ","

You mentioned it was possible to write a code for inverting these two parts so that one obtains <Part B> <Part A> without any separator?

e.g. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques

Are any news from this side from you or from any other Zotero staff?

Thanks a lot,

Luigi
  • Try this version-- go to http://github.com/ajlyon/zotero-bits/raw/master/IEEE Xplore.js and save the file to the translators directory of your Zotero data directory (http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data).

It should start working. If this works for you, please post here.

Test it with a wide variety of journals on the site to make sure it doesn't introduce any new issues.
  • edited May 29, 2011
    Thanks. I think this is a very nice hack. As far as I can see, it works fine with IEEE and old IRE transactions without introducing additional bugs. It also works fine with journals like: Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, IEEE which are now correctly seen as IEEE Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine. I've tested it also for old journals like "Production Engineers, Journal of the Institution of " which is also well interpreted.

However, it still has some problems with some journals. I'm trying to report here a list of these journals:

1. IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation
    http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/RecentIssue.jsp?punumber=4126157

This is seen by Zotero as: Antennas & Propagation, IET Microwaves

I'll try to post here other errors as soon as I spot them.
    Thanks.

Is there a way to correct entries I already have in my library?
  • As you've likely guessed, this was a very basic hack-- it just swaps around the first comma in the title. I've put together another version that's more nuanced-- it only does the swap when the second chunk ends with "of", "IEEE", or "IET", and it splits at the last comma.

Go to http://github.com/ajlyon/zotero-bits/raw/master/IEEE Xplore.js again and save the file to the translators directory of your Zotero data directory (http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data). Then reload and try again.
  • It worked. Thanks a lot.
    Will your file be included in the official Zotero release?
    Regards,
    L.
  • Are there any other organizations like IEEE‌ or IET that I should add to the logic before committing this?
  • I've checked all the journal list. There are other journals such as:

( 1955 - 1962 ) Audio, IRE Transactions on
    ( 1953 - 1955 ) Audio, Transactions of the IRE Professional Group on
    ( 1950 - 1952 ) Audio, Newsletter of the IRE Professional Group on

or

Journals with IEE instead of IEEE (e.g. Electronic Circuits and Systems, IEE Journal on or "India, IEE-IERE Proceedings - ")

which require a correction of your code.

Is there a way to update my zotero database? I think I can do it even manually by just "Find and replace". Unfortunately, I do not know if the database is contained all in one txt file and eventually where to find this file.

Thanks a lot.
    L.