Purchasing tablet for Zotero use--recommendations?

I am committing to keeping Zotero for my research use, but need to start doing reading/annotating on a tablet and, in lieu of a good iOS third-party app, need to investigate other platforms. (I use a Macbook Air for my home computer.) What do people recommend for the best tablets and third-party apps for Zotero use/syncing?
  • edited September 17, 2020
    You should get an iPad. An iOS app is coming. Nothing really compares to an iPad in terms of performance and quality of apps.

You can use the ZotFile plugin in the meantime to copy PDFs and annotations to and from your tablet.
  • The alternative (and my favorite) is getting a Windows tablet, such as a Microsoft Surface. You can just use full Zotero on that, including Word and Google docs integration, and with syncing set to "as needed" you won't use up too much disk space.

Obviously some friction when using Windows & Mac side-by-side, though.
  • edited September 19, 2020
    @dstillman So how near is the iPad Zotero app? Zotero is the only app currently that I need the MacBook for. Asking because I need to buy a new computer and deciding between a 1TB iPad Pro and a future silicon MacBook Air.
  • edited September 19, 2020
    @dstillman I remember Zotero iOS app coming when I was deciding to buy my Ipad in autumn 2019.

@jessfscarbone my workflow looks like that:

1. I use zotfile to store all pdfs in an external folder, then I sync the folder using dropbox

2. There is a problem with dropbox that you cannot sync downloaded folder on mobile while you are on the free tier, but this could be solved using Readdle Documents or PDF Expert which allow you to have a local copy of any sync service folder

3. On Ipad I open synced folder inside PDF Expert (free version is enough) to annotate pdf

• @danieltomasz Same. I had my institution procure an iPad for me on the basis that a Zotero app was forthcoming - well over a year ago.
  • This is the first time a Zotero developer has actually said that a release should influence a purchase choice.
  • edited September 20, 2020
    Well, a lack of response is helpful as well. Thanks.
  • @erazlogo You asked your question a day ago. I suggest a little more patience for a response.
  • edited September 29, 2020
    @bwiernik that’s good that developer says that release is really close!

I still wouldn’t believe Apple to treat IPad as your (only) real computer, but as a secondary device it works really well

I don’t mind waiting and long development, but was frustrating is not having any timeframe in mind
  • Papership app for ios is a workable solution for adding and annotating journal pdf zotero items on the ipad and iphone. There is an import to papership option from all browsers in the share sheet. During the import step, the metadata is retrieved for most journals i use, you can add tags etc. It syncs with the zotero library and the annotation tools within the app on ios are more than sufficient. There’s is no need for the zotfile work around.
    Look forward to the native app too - expect it will have more bells and whistles and won’t be limited to pdf based items.
    Thanks for the all the work it takes to make zotero such a an excellent tool.