Harvard Westminster style on Zotero

Dear peers and colleagues

Previously, I have received help from kind volunteers for helping me tweak the Westminster Harvard style (format) in Zotero.

Right now, I am at the stage of generating the bibliography and I noticed a few discrepancies.

As a quick reference, this is where you would locate the Westminster Harvard style that my university uses: https://libguides.westminster.ac.uk/referencing/examples.

I have checked with my reference librarian and reconfirm the advised format. There are some lingering issues.

Please help to tweak the style sheet. Once again thanks for your kind attention to the matter.

The first issue concerns the citation of an essay in a collected volume.

Chua, B.H. (2014). Inter-referencing Southeast Asia: absence, resonance and provocation. In: Huotari, M., Rüland, J., and Schlehe, J., eds. Methodology and research practice in Southeast Asian studies. Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan, 273–288.

Hall, S. (1996). Introduction: Who Needs ‘Identity’? In: Hall, S., and du Gray, P., eds. Questions of Cultural Identity. London: SAGE Publications, 1–17. Available from https://doi.org/10.4135/9781446221907 [Accessed 9 March 2020].

Firstly, the comma after Ruland, J. or Hall, S. should be removed (meaning no comma before "and" when listing editors). Secondly, eds. or ed. should be enclosed in (). Thirdly, comma should be removed after Schlehe, J. before (eds.).

The corrected entries should be:

Chua, B.H. (2014). Inter-referencing Southeast Asia: absence, resonance and provocation. In: Huotari, M., Rüland, J. and Schlehe, J. (eds.) Methodology and research practice in Southeast Asian studies. Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan, 273–288.

Hall, S. (1996). Introduction: Who Needs ‘Identity’? In: Hall, S. and du Gray, P. (eds.) Questions of Cultural Identity. London: SAGE Publications, 1–17. Available from https://doi.org/10.4135/9781446221907 [Accessed 9 March 2020].

Can someone help tweak the style sheet for Zotero?

Secondly, I appropriate the above format for exhibition catalogues. Unfortunately, most catalogues do not feature editors. So Zotero formats it as such.

Alexander Supartono. (2014). Afterimage: is there such a thing as Southeast Asian photography? Afterimage: contemporary photography from Southeast Asia [Exhibition catalogue]. Singapore: Singapore Art Museum, 14–19.

I do not know how to get the italicised cover title to show up here. But in this case, "Afterimage: contemporary photography from Southeast Asia [Exhibition catalogue]" is the catalogue title in italics. "Afterimage: is there such a thing as Southeast Asian photography?" is the article title.

My reference librarian suggests that the inclusion of In: is not absolutely necessary. But if In: is reinserted, it should be followed directly by the catalogue title, without editors info. Hence: In: Afterimage: contemporary photography from Southeast Asia [Exhibition catalogue].

**There is also a minor issue here. Alexander Supartono is an Indonesian name. Similar to Malay names, there is no usage of family names in the naming conventions of Indonesia. So technically speaking, there should not be a full stop after his name, as the full stop is usually used as a way to abbreviate the first name, like Hall, S.. How can I remove the full stop in this case?

For working papers from a research institution, what is the type of entry that I should use and where should the specific details of the bibliographic entry go to? What I aim for is something like this to be generated.

Pazzini-Paracciani, L. (2012). Twenty-first century Thai art practices: common themes and methodologies. Asia Research Institute, Working Paper Series, no. 181. Available from http://www.ari.nus.edu.sg/wps/wps12_181.pdf.

For unpublished handwritten manuscript of an exhibition, what is the entry type that I should use? Right now, I am using manuscript but the details do not show up. What is generated is only this:

Manahan, J. (1974). Notes on the exhibition.

However, in the Zotero entry, I have also indicated these details, which fail to show up.
Archive: Cultural Center of the Philippines Library and Archives
Location in Archive: Small Gallery, No. 28
This place is located in Manila.

My reference library suggests indicating the bibliographic entry as such:

Manahan, J. (1974). Notes on the exhibition [Typescript]. Small Gallery, No. 28. Manila: Cultural Center of the Philippines Library and Archives.

What is the item type that I should choose and how can I generate such an entry?

For PhD and MA theses, I am having trouble generating the correct bibliographic entry.

What has been generated by Zotero is as such:

Heng, T. (2010). Making Chineseness in transdiasporic space: it’s a matter of ethnic taste [PhD thesis].

In Zotero, I have indicated the geographical location of the university, the thesis type (MA or PhD) and also the name of the university. These details are lost when the bibliographic entry is generated. I have to physically include [PhD thesis] at the end of the title entry.

My reference library recommends the format:

Heng, T. (2010). Making Chineseness in transdiasporic space: it’s a matter of ethnic taste [PhD thesis]. London: Goldsmiths, University of London. Available from http://research.gold.ac.uk/6489/ [Accessed 3 March 2020].

Can someone help to tweak this in Zotero?

There is an issue with multiple volume titles. Even though I have clearly indicated the volume number and the number of volumes to a specific title, Zotero only generates the entry as such:

Becker, H.S. (2006). Photography and sociology. In: Hamilton, P., ed. Visual research method. London: SAGE Publications, 209–248.

The reference librarian recommends:

Becker, H.S. (2006). Photography and sociology. In: Hamilton, P. (ed.) Visual research method. Volume 1. London: SAGE Publications, 209–248.

Please help.
  • edited September 26, 2020
    Please don't make multiple threads for the same topic. You can just ping us if we didn't say anything. It's seen as bad forum etiquette and will make it less likely that you get help.

I will look at fixing the style over the next few weeks.
  • Sorry for making multiple postings. I wanted to delete the previous message but I could not. Anyway, my haste is the result of a looming deadline. Hope you would help. Thanks again
  • 1. fixed. please test
    3. Use report. The citation guidelines are actually specific how reports show be shown, so I don't get your "something like" example which is in a different format.
    4. I've added that it handles the item type manuscript. Test it out. Put the number "28" in the Call Number field.
    5. theses: The guidelines don't seem to specify any format.
    6. Again, the style guidelines are not specifying anything. Why then do you say "should be"? Or do you have another set of guidelines we don't have access to?

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/citation-style-language/styles/9d73bc34a4f3243919d57273d2a71dac591c4b73/harvard-university-of-westminster.csl
  • many thanks for working on this so promptly.

the style guide at westminster is quite basic and i have been talking to the reference librarian to update it further, so that more detailed item types can be accounted. that's why my listed examples here are extensions to what is being provided in the style sheet of my university.

for instance, in this case, there is no directive in terms of the style sheet. However, my reference librarian suggests that I could go with my current style, or if I could request Zotero to add "In:" which is followed by the book title, skipping over the editors (since there is no indication of them in the colophon).

the issue of Asian names without surname is more urgent because there are quite a few cultures that do not use last names. I normally just key the entire name in as one entry, but when the bibliography is generated, there should not be a full stop that follows Alexander Supartono because it is there really to indicate the abbreviation of a first name, but in this case, there is no first or last name in his culture. Is it possible to remove the full stop in this case when there is one name, or should I do so manually?

The stipulated format for report does not require details like institution, working papers etc to appear. This is again a slightly different version that I evolved with the help of my reference librarian.

Right now, I am using report as item type but I have to trick the system by putting "Asia Research Institute, Working Paper Series, no. 181" under the entry of institution.

Yes, and the lack of details is an issue, because typically, the university which confers the degree is quite important in the citation. This is what i wish to indicate in my biblio, having discussed with the reference librarian.

6. ditto above. I wish to indicate more details than our current style guide in the university, which does not account for such situations. the pagination is discontinued for each volume, which means that we need to show which volume I am citing from.