Can I use Zotero in 2 organisations

I volunteer for 2 organisations. I would like to use Zotero for both. I can use both if I stick with the online versions since I simply login in using the appropriate email address.

Is there some way I can use the 1 desktop app for both organisations maintaining separation between the 2?

Avery Hilditch
  • Thank you. I'll check it out
  • @Avery_Hilditch: Do you actually need separate personal libraries? Because you can certainly join groups from different organizations in the same account (as well as have multiple email addresses associated with your account).

I'd strongly recommend against trying to use multiple profiles/instances if you can help it, since there are significant limitations.
  • My apologies for not replying sooner. I have been fighting bronchitis which has really laid me low. In my question I said "I would like to use Zotero for both organisations". It would have been more accurate to say that they don't want me using 1 login for both.
  • I created the 2 profiles as described but when I run Zotero it doesn't offer me a selection of profiles. If I run it using the -p option on the command line followed by the profile name, it always opens the same profile. I can never get it to open the other profile.
  • You have to run with -P (capital letter) once and uncheck the option for starting without prompting for the profile.

For -p (lowercase), if there's a space in the profile name you have to quote it.

We can't really help beyond that. This is just the Firefox profile manager functionality that we get from being based on Firefox, and it works exactly the same, but it's an advanced workflow and not something we particularly recommend due to the limitations, particularly when you're using multiple instances at the same time.

You would know best, but I'm not really sure why your organizations need to dictate this — if you associate another multiple email address with the account, they're only ever inviting you to groups based on the email address they know, and they'd have no way of knowing if you belonged to other groups. (The only exception would be if you owned groups and they were paying for storage, but we generally recommend that organization groups be owned by an institutional account that isn't tied to a single person.)
  • I can't get it to work on the desktop app no matter what I try so I am just going to use the online version.

I appreciate the advice I have been given.