Arrow-down button in save popup doesn't work

This discussion was created from comments split from: Firefox connector n- no dropdown categories.
  • Got a similar situation: Using firefox, zotero is running. I click the `save to Zotero` button, the popup appears and I am able to click on the wide dropdown button (see item 1 on screenshot) that shows the most recent subcollections (and they appear), but when I press the arrow-down button (see item 2 on screenshot) it doesn't expand, but it goes on to save the pdf to zotero withouth giving me the option to add tags and specify a subcollection.

Also, in the case of the wide dropdown (if I select the option more..) it goes on to save it just like with the arrow-down dropdown.

Both of these problems do not seem to occur if I try it for a second time (when the pdf has been already downloaded once)

screenshot: https://pasteboard.co/JrkdhdB.png
    Debug report: D887619797
  • edited September 16, 2020
    I'm not clear on what "both" of these problems are. It sounds like you're saying the disclosure button (the down arrow) doesn't do anything, but "More…" (which does exactly the same thing) does. Is there some other problem?

Also, to clarify, if you click the save button again without reloading the page, you're not saving again — it simply reopens the existing popup so you can change the collection or tags if you want to.
  • Both the "more.." and the disclosure button lead to directly saving the pdf instead of doing what they are supposed to. (i.e. opening the subcollection browsing)

Your clarification does not seem to be the case for me. Clicking the zotero icon again without reloading does not prompt any popup at all.
  • edited September 16, 2020
    Both the "more.." and the disclosure button lead to directly saving the pdf instead of doing what they are supposed to. (i.e. opening the subcollection browsing)
    No, you're misunderstanding (or at least misstating) that. Neither of those have any effect on saving — the saving happens even if you don't touch anything. The only thing that "More…" and the disclosure button do is expand the popup to show the collections list and tags field. So is what you're saying that neither "More…" nor the disclosure button is actually doing anything? They're just non-responsive?
    Your clarification does not seem to be the case for me. Clicking the zotero icon again without reloading does not prompt any popup at all.
    I'm just explaining that clicking the button again without reloading the page doesn't re-save. When working properly, it will just reopen the popup.

You said "Both of these problems do not seem to occur if I try it for a second time (when the pdf has been already downloaded once)", but I don't know what you mean by that, since you can't re-save without reloading the page, and whether you saved something in the past shouldn't make any difference if you refreshed the page since the last time you tried. So I'm not sure how to interpret your saying that it works on a second try, unless you just mean that you're clicking the save button again without reloading the page and the popup is reopening and it works that time.
  • ```
    The only thing that "More…" and the disclosure button do is expand the popup to show the collections list and tags field.
    ```

Well, I want to specify which subcollection I save things to, and to provide tags with that save. So yes it might not change the saving in general, but they do allow to specify and tag.

```
    You said "Both of these problems do not seem to occur if I try it for a second time (when the pdf has been already downloaded once)", but I don't know what you mean by that, since you can't re-save without reloading the page,
    ```
    What I mean with `second time` was after I reloaded the page.

PS: Perhaps I should update Zotero and the plugin. I'm running Zotero 5.0.89, and plugin version 5.0.71
    PS: im not sure how to reply with quotation, hence the ticks.
  • So yes it might not change the saving in general, but they do allow to specify and tag.
    Right, I'm just establishing what these elements actually do so we can be clear about the actual thing that's not working for you.
    So is what you're saying that neither "More…" nor the disclosure button is actually doing anything? They're just non-responsive?
    Can you confirm that this is what you mean?

If you open the Firefox Web Console, do you see anything logged when you click the disclosure button?
    What I mean with `second time` was after I reloaded the page.
    So you're saying that if you load a webpage and click the save button, the disclosure button won't expand the popup, but if you then reload the page and try again, it will? And — just to make sure you're not mistaken that you're actually reloading the page — you see two new copies of the item in Zotero?
    Perhaps I should update Zotero and the plugin. I'm running Zotero 5.0.89, and plugin version 5.0.71
    Those are the latest versions.
    im not sure how to reply with quotation, hence the ticks.
    You can wrap in <blockquote></blockquote> tags.
  • Can you confirm that this is what you mean?
    Yes that is what I mean
    If you open the Firefox Web Console, do you see anything logged when you click the disclosure button?
    I do see error logs in my firefox console. See https://pasteboard.co/JroFX6D.png & https://pasteboard.co/JroHjAG.png (the second one showing the rest of the errors)
    So you're saying that if you load a webpage and click the save button, the disclosure button won't expand the popup, but if you then reload the page and try again, it will? And — just to make sure you're not mistaken that you're actually reloading the page — you see two new copies of the item in Zotero?
    yes that is indeed what happens
  • Try with all other extensions disabled.