Word Plugin Troubleshooting

Hi - I have been using Zotero for some time, but I am having trouble with the word plugin for Zotero on my word documents. It has disappeared from my ribbon. I have tried two approaches to the problem:

1) From within Zotero, I go to Edit --> Preferences --> Cite. I click the Word Processors tab, and click "Reinstall Microsoft Word Add-in"
2) The did not work, so I also tried trouble shooting by following these instructions, but I am having no luck either.

I am on a Windows 10 OS, and I am using Microsoft 365 apps for enterprise.

Thanks.
  • Follow these steps in full: https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#zotero_toolbar_doesn_t_appear

If you're still having trouble, say exactly what you've done, in your own words, and what happened at each step.
  • Hi dstillman - thanks for responding. I am still having trouble:

I followed the instructions at the link you provided. I redownloaded Zotero as instructed in step 4. Now I see "Zotero for Windows integration" and "Zotero LibreOffice Integration" enabled (there is a button to disable the extensions).

When I go to step V, I do see some installation buttons in the Cite --> Word Processors pane of the Zotero preferences. I clicked on the "Reinstall Microsoft Word Add-in" and it immediately returns a dialog "! Installation was successful". However, when I restart word, there is still no Zotero button in the ribbon. I proceded with the recommendation in step V to delete extensions.json in my Zotero profile directory. However, nothing has changed.

I proceeded to step 3: following the manual installation instructions. I followed all of the steps closely, and copied the Zotero.dotm file from "install" to my Word Startup Folder. I restarted Zotero and Microsoft word, but I still do not see the Zotero button in the ribbon, nor do I see it in any add-ons.

I feel like I have gone through all of the troubleshooting guidance I can find on this subject and followed all of the steps, but I am still having the same problem. I cannot add in-text citations or a bibliography. Do you have any recommendations?
  • FYI I continued to try to sort through this. For future users with the same problem:
    After following the Zotero trouble shooting documentation, I still was not getting the Zotero button on my ribbon in word. I used Word's help function to search "Zotero". This returned an option "Load or unload a template or add-in program". I followed instructions to load a template or add-in and was able to restore the Zotero button on my Word ribbon. Best of luck!
  • It's not clear that you followed the additional, platform-specific steps linked from the bottom of the troubleshooting section.
    I used Word's help function to search "Zotero". This returned an option "Load or unload a template or add-in program". I followed instructions to load a template or add-in and was able to restore the Zotero button on my Word ribbon.
    To be clear, you shouldn't actually add a template that way. Zotero.dotm should be in your active Word Startup folder, and if it is it should appear in the add-ins window. If it's unchecked there for some reason, enabling it should help.