Removing et al from Chicago Manual of Style 17th ed (note)

Hi there,

I am attempting to remove 'et al' from this citation style when there are three or more authors. According to the journal style guide, footnotes should include first author and no et al - all authors listed in the bibliography.

Using the visual CSL editor, in the 'contributors-short (macro)' I can see that the 'et-al-min' and 'et-al-use-first' is null.

How do I remove the 'et al' but still only have the first author appear in the footnote?

Many thanks
  • Do you also want et al to be removed from the bibliography for long author lists?
  • ...journal style guide...
    Which journal are you talking about?
    It makes more sense to make this style and put it on the repository so ALL CSL users can profit from this style. ;)
  • Thank you for your replies.

@bwiernik, I just want to remove the et al from the footnotes. All authors names should appear in the bibliography - which is appearing correctly.

@damnation, the journal is Law, Technology and Humans (https://lthj.qut.edu.au/public/journals/5/LTH_Author_Guidelines_2020_2021.pdf). Yes, I was going to deposit the style in the repository for all users if I could get it displaying correctly. Is it preferrable to deposit the existing style under a new name and then make the necessary changes?
  • To remove et al. from the footnotes you find the line that starts with "<citation..." and remove " et-al-min="4" et-al-use-first="1"" from the style. Line ~1300ish if I remember correctly.

To contribute a new style follow this guide: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
  • In that case, you can do it by redefining the “et al” term to be empty quotes: ""

See the apa.csl style for an example of redefining the et-al term.

If needed, set “et-al-min” also to a lower number.
  • Good memory! I removed the recommended text and all four authors' names are now appearing - like the bibliography. However, the journal style wants only the first author but no 'et al'. In other words, the footnote should behave as if using 'et al' but without the text 'et al' appearing, if that makes sense?
  • In that case, you can do it by redefining the “et al” term to be empty quotes: ""

See the apa.csl style for an example of redefining the et-al term.

If needed, set “et-al-min” also to a lower number.