How to Associate Zotero Link With Original File

Hi,

When I add a file to my zotero library, zotero duplicates that file and stores it under [username]/Zotero/storage/[code like VJ5NP9CU, etc]. How do I make it so that Zotero just links to my original file? Ie, when I add something from [username]/documents/project, clicking on that file name in Zotero opens that file, rather than a duplicate of that file that Zotero has created.

I have a rather large library and have no interest in creating duplicates of every single one of my files, for space purposes; also, I'll admit this is theoretically on me, but it's come up a couple times that I'm concerned I open a pdf through Zotero, and make some highlights and such, but then those highlights aren't there when I open the pdf through my OS explorer because I'm technically opening a different file. (Or vice versa, modify the original and changes don't carry over to the Zotero file). For both of these reasons, I do not want to have two versions of every one of my files on my computer.

Sorry in advance that I bet this is a super basic question, I just can't think of what the jargon to refer to this problem would be, so searching has not turned up much and I can't figure it out in the preferences. I'm new to Zotero but very, very happy to have had it recommended to me, great experience so far.

Thank you!