multiple in-text citations (block references)

Hello, how does one edit the block reference style? I found the option to edit in-text citations but not when multiple are used.

For example, I have a sentence that contains a list, and each item requires several citations. The default looks like this:

"...item one [1],[2],[9], item 2 [4],[3], item 3 [5],[6],[7], etc."

This seems unnecessarily complicated and hard to read, especially for consecutive references that could be written as [5-7] or something similar.

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you!
  • This looks wrong. They should always be in order and 5,6,7 should appear ad 5-7. Which citation style are you using? How are you inserting citations? Have you tried clicking Refresh?
  • I am using IEEE and am inserting citations using the Word plugin. The order is not an issue (I believe refresh resolves that concern as you mentioned). They do not appear as [5-7] though. They appear as [5], [6], [7].
  • I just took another look at my document. It works for 3 or more references only. I was thinking it would also combine two references in a simplified format. Thanks.
  • OK, that's as expected then. [5], [6] and [5-7]. IEEE is unique (as per the style guide) in putting the separate [] around every number. Most other styles would do [5,6] which is just as compact as [5-6].