Icons missing from toolbar, snapshot of current page.

Ok, I read through all the new features of the beta but no where can I find where it mentions about the buttons missing. There used to be a button that you would click that would create of copy of the web page on your hard disk. Now the only option I have is to click Create new item from current page, then I have to right click on that new item and click attach snapshot of current page.

If this a bug, or is this intentional? Is the snapshot button removed for a reason? Is there w way to put it back?

I even went over the help files and none of the show zotero with the missing buttons that were in version 1.x.

Am I missing something??
  • It's intentional and listed on the changelog.

If you want "Create New Item from Current Page" to save snapshots, enable the "Automatically take snapshots..." option in the Zotero preferences. (This will likely be made the default in future releases, possibly with a modifier key to toggle the behavior and possibly with a separate preference for saving from translators.)

The link and snapshot buttons were frequently incorrectly used, caused quite a bit of confusion, and weren't necessary.

Additional changes are coming to reduce interface clutter for web page items with limited fields and a single matching child snapshot, which should provide an interface similar to that provided by standalone attachments (but not in as limiting a way).
  • edited May 16, 2009
    Sorry - edit conflict, I started writing this before Dan's reply was posted.

The add snapshot of current page button, as well as the add link to current page are missing for me as well. I can see why this might be intentional, as it makes the organisation more consistent to always have attachments and links as children of a normal parent item.

However, it does seem slightly inconsistent as you can still add a local link or copy of a local file as a standalone item. Secondly it reduces the functionality of the "retrieve metadata from pdf" tool, as the way I use this tool most often is to grab a pdf from a site (if it hasn't got a good translator) and then retrieve the metadata to build an item around the pdf. I would imagine that many people who use zotero to annotate web pages would also use the add snapshot button.

My guess would be that this is just a bug, but if not it would be nice to see these tools back, even if only as an option which can be enabled in prefs.
  • Hello Dan,

In the preferences I do have automatically take snapshots checked, but it is not working. Even when I look into the data directory a copy of the file is not there.

The item in the list is a single item with no attachment.

I also would like if possible to have that button back as it was quick and easy to add certain pages as an archive to my drive for later research, or just a simple link with an attached note.

I also restarted Firefox multiple times and still no snapshot of page unless I manually add it by right clicking on the item and adding it back.
  • Secondly it reduces the functionality of the "retrieve metadata from pdf" tool, as the way I use this tool most often is to grab a pdf from a site (if it hasn't got a good translator) and then retrieve the metadata to build an item around the pdf.
    Yes, but ideally you wouldn't have to do this anyway. Dragging a PDF in should automatically trigger metadata retrieval if possible. The reason it doesn't at the moment is that we're still refining the process.
  • edited May 16, 2009
    Sorry - edit conflict yet again - with reference to Dan's answer, is it possible to drag a pdf in from the web, rather than just from a local file?

Thanks for the info Dan.

I agree with you about the ultimate goal of the interface - and that these buttons should be unnecessary.

However with the further interface changes not yet implemented it would be nice to see these buttons temporarily back as an about:config option, disabled by default.

I say this because:

1) as far as I can see there is now no easy way to grab a pdf from the browser (e.g. from the author's personal webpage - which wouldn't have a translator) and then retrieve the metadata for it. Eventually a button called something like "save pdf and retrieve metadata" that does the whole thing in one go would be excellent.

2) I, and I would imagine many other people, wouldn't want to enable "automatically take snapshots" for everything as this has the effect of cluttering up all the items added from translators ( which automatically have the pdf added, making a snapshot superfluous).
  • In the preferences I do have automatically take snapshots checked, but it is not working. Even when I look into the data directory a copy of the file is not there.
    That pref does indeed appear to be broken in 2.0b3. We'll fix this in the next beta build, which should be out within a couple days.
    I also would like if possible to have that button back as it was quick and easy to add certain pages as an archive to my drive for later research, or just a simple link with an attached note.
    Create New Item from Current Page is just as quick and easy (or would be if the snapshot pref was working properly). See my note above re: additional planned changes.
  • 1) as far as I can see there is now no easy way to grab a pdf from the browser (e.g. from the author's personal webpage - which wouldn't have a translator) and then retrieve the metadata for it
    This will be fixed in the next build. As a quick workaround, drag to desktop and then drag into Zotero.
    2) I, and I would imagine many other people, wouldn't want to enable "automatically take snapshots" for everything as this has the effect of cluttering up all the items added from translators ( which automatically have the pdf added, making a snapshot superfluous).
    See above re: modifier key and separate pref for translator saving.
  • Thanks Dan, that sorts the problem for me.
  • Dan, thank you so much for all your help and it is appreciated.

Looking forward to the bug fix :)
  • I follow the logic behind the confusion associated with, and removal of, the link and snapshot buttons. However, I did find myself using them a lot, for various reasons.

What is really needed as a replacement asap is a modifier key to override the chosen 'capture snapshot with item' preference. This way we don't need to clog up disk space with unwanted snapshots, but can also capture them easily when required.

I note this is a future intention - I'd just like to see it as a priority, please.
  • I'd just like to see it as a priority, please.
    Very well. Checked in on the trunk as of a minute ago. It'll be in the next beta release, which will probably be out sometime next week.
  • Geez you're quick! Thanks Dan.
  • Having just upgraded to 2.0 I was also baffled by this. There seems to be plenty of real estate on the screen, so I don't see why those two buttons have merged into one. I like to save links mostly, and from time to time snapshots. It was easy before. Now, you are saying I will have to remember what mode I am in, and then remember what the modifier key is supposed to be. Really, that can't be an improvement, just a cluttering of the workflow. It wasn't broke, now you are going to fix it (for the worse).
  • It wasn't broke
    Yes, it was. Standalone links and snapshots were overly limited entities that confused many people and provided no functionality that regular web page items can't provide. To me that seems like a design flaw worth addressing.

And there are still additional changes coming to make working with web page items (with or without matching child snapshots) more similar to working with standalone links and snapshots, but without the unnecessary limitations.
    Now, you are saying I will have to remember what mode I am in, and then remember what the modifier key is supposed to be.
    We might make the Create New Item from Current Page button icon update dynamically based on the snapshot pref and the modifier key, which would avoid any confusion as to whether or not you'd be getting a snapshot.
  • The "add link" functionality might have been broken in the sense that it did not fit perfectly in the general concept of Zotero, but definitely was not broken in that it added "bookmarking" functionality to Zotero that now will be missing.

It so happened that Zotero was up to now - probably unintentionally - an excellent tool to collect and maintain bookmarks (not to serve as source references, but just that: bookmarks, to quickly access frequently used sites). I realize that this is not the main aim of Zotero, but it was a very useful thing, and sites frequently used for any thematic work could be stored alongside sources in the same tool.

The links were clearly identified as such, they did not mix with everything else, they could be used to access sites quickly (double click), and the fact that they (or the snapshots) were limited did not confuse me the slightest. I fully understood that they were not reference items by themselves.

Now it seems that to have the same functionality, I will have to (1) create an Item (2) right click and create a link (3) move the link out of underneath the item (4) delete the item. Even if creating the item and the link could be done in just one go later on with some key modifier, I'd still have to separate the link from the item then delete the item.

It is true that the functionality remains there somewhere, except that as it stands now, it seems that it will become utterly impractical to use.

This effectively means that the bookmarking functionality is gone, and I will have to migrate my bookmarks out of Zotero and mix them with my general purpose bookmarks. Nice functionality lost, just because some people were experiencing confusion in telling a couple of items apart... Really, really sad.

I also googled "Zotero bookmarks" to see if I was the only one affected, and it turns out there are quite a large number of pages dedicated to just this - using Zotero as a clever bookmark management tool. There is definitely interest.

So unless this is a deliberate attempt to get rid of "light" users and keep only hardcore scholars (in which case I apologize for insisting), there might be valid reason in trying to keep the bookmarking functionality (i.e. the link/snapshot icons) intact for those of us who were not confused in the first place, and found good use of it. Maybe with an option in advanced preferences, that would bring the icons back - with a sound disclaimer of course ("warning: might cause mild to severe confusion - use at own risk").
  • Roland: Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your arguments, however, seem to assume no further changes to the UI, whereas I've said a number of times on this thread that additional changes are planned and that it is our goal to make working with web page items as simple as working with standalone web links or snapshots. This isn't just an attempt to appease users who used those features previously, but rather an effort to improve the interface for everyone.

Case in point: I've just checked in a change on the trunk that makes double-clicking an item equivalent to clicking the "View"/"View Snapshot" button in the right-hand pane. This may still need refinement—for example, the parent item expand/collapse behavior still occurs concurrently, which is a little awkward—but it extends one of the biggest advantages of standalone links and snapshots to all items.

Another concern might be the extra metadata rows in the right-hand pane, which might not be used by people using Zotero as an advanced bookmark manager. But, to me, that just suggests that unused fields could be hidden when not in use, since they clutter the interface for all users and make it harder to view the information that does exist. We've always planned to offer ways to hide unwanted/unused fields, and we'll try to get to it in the not-too-distant future.

Your comment about storing bookmarks together with thematic sources is an interesting one, but I think you could easily maintain that distinction while using web page items with a dedicated subcollection or tag for "bookmarks".

If you have other concerns or suggestions, please let us know, but before transferring all of your bookmarks out of Zotero, I'd recommend holding out a bit longer and seeing if some of the upcoming changes change your mind.
  • edited May 30, 2009
    @ Dan Stillman
    Your comment about storing bookmarks together with thematic sources is an interesting one, but I think you could easily maintain that distinction while using web page items with a dedicated subcollection or tag for "bookmarks".
    It might be a nice idea to allow the association of custom icons with particular tags. This would make it simple to differentiate between thematic sources and bookmarks, or any other broad catagories people might like to create, "at a glance", without having to toggle a tag and compare two lists.

I'm thinking something like having "tag icons" as a field in the centre pane. Icons could be selected and enabled for particular tags from a dialog box accessed from the context menu of the tag (as clearly you wouldn't want an icon for every tag - two or three at most I would imagine).

What do you think?

Edit: Just noticed this thread which seems to be requesting much the same thing but as an alternative to tags, my proposal would just be a way to make certain tags more visable, so wouldn't involve any modification to the underlying data structure (other than zotero needing to remember the icons).
  • Bionatsci: I think better than tag icons would be tag colors, which is something Thunderbird does well.

(On the subject of icons, though, Zotero could conceivably use site favicons (the icons that show in the address bar, on tabs, and next to bookmarks) for web page items.)
  • Thanks for the reply, tag colors sounds great, as does the use of favicons.
  • I remain confused. Does this mean every time I want to create a snapshot of a web page a parent item will be created along with it? Why is this necessary?

I could understand if there was a way to create a "generic" item and then I could add snapshots and other file types as children to the "generic" item. However, at the moment I cannot see any way to create a generic item. All items seem to be identified as some sort of file type.
  • However, at the moment I cannot see any way to create a generic item. All items seem to be identified as some sort of file type.
    The create new item from current page creates a snapshot that has a parent 'web page' item. This type seems generic enough to me.
  • But it is specific to the page the snapshot came from. It is superfluous. Why not just add more meta data to the snapshot itself instead of making it a child of a parent "Web Page" item?

I would suggest two things ...

1. Bring back the ability to save a snapshot of a web page as a single item. Don't force the creation of a parent item just to create a snapshot.

2. Create a "generic" item. This could serve as a parent for many different file types without being specific to any one of them.
  • edited June 25, 2009
    It is not superfluous. You may associate many snapshots or other notes/attachments with the regular library item. One use-case for this would be to have multiple snapshots of the same page (either with different annotations or of different versions of the page over time). The regular library item is cite-able (the snapshot is not). The regular library item will sync with the zotero server (retaining URL/title/etc.), while the snapshot will not. You can share regular items in groups.

There seems to be little advantage to having stand-alone snapshots (and you haven't seemed to indicate any) & many disadvantages.

Re. generic item: there is already "document".
  • I see your point about multiple snapshots of the same web page. Unfortunately, I have never needed this feature. But I can certainly see it being useful to others.

My guess is that I use Zotero in a much different matter than which it is designed. Almost all my content in Zotero are snapshots of web pages. I tag the web pages (blogs, news, reference, etc ..) so I can have an archive of reference material that is searchable via key word, tag, and hierarchy. So, for me, I end up with two entries ( a parent and child) for every web snapshot I take. The ability to take a snapshot without creating a parent item saves on clutter and space in my archive.

Different people use Zotero ... "differently". I think what others and myself would like to see is the ability/option to take snapshots without addition of a parent item.
  • Just a quick example of how this can be frustrating. When I take a snapshot of a web page I am not sure where I should fill in the tags. Do I fill it in the parent item or do I set the tags in the snapshot itself? I don't wish to duplicate my effort and fill in both.

What about creating a parent item called "collection". This item could contain note fields and other generic fields that could describe the entire collection rather than a specific document type.
  • If you want "Create New Item from Current Page" to save snapshots, enable the "Automatically take snapshots..." option in the Zotero preferences. (This will likely be made the default in future releases, possibly with a modifier key to toggle the behavior and possibly with a separate preference for saving from translators.)
    Hi Dan, is it possible now to switch snapshot taking behavior when creating an item from web page? Was the option to have "Create New Item From Current Page" button with drop-down actions (e.g. "..with snapshot" and "..without snapshot") considered?
  • I was hoping that other people would make the case, but the conversation seems to have stalled. I felt strongly enough about it to register so that I can post this.
    PLEASE, bring back the ability to create a STANDALONE Snapshot of a web page WITHOUT a Parent. The imposed requirement to create this hierarchy folder structure makes thing twice as complex as they used to be.
    I am sure there is a time and place when it is useful, but don't make it obligatory! I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. Did I mention I hate it.
    However, you do it, "icon on the toolbar" or "drop-down menu", but please, bring it back.
  • could you maybe explain for what you need the button? The developers are very concerned with overcrowding the GUI and the context menus. That's why the button was taken out in the first place - together with misunderstandings it created.
    So if they had a good understanding of what exactly people were doing with the snapshot button (rather than that they really, really liked it) that would help a lot.

No reason to scream on a forum though.
  • I do not need a button per se. As I explained above, I need "ability to create a standalone Snapshot of a web page without an obligatory Parent" the way it used to be. Right now, you cannot detach a Snapshot from a Parent to make it standalone, only move it to another Parent.
    A few examples of why it is a problem:
    - I "Create New Item From Current Page". The name given to the item is specified by the page itself. More often than not I edit the name to make it meaningful to me. Because of the Parent and Snapshot I have to do the edit twice.
    - I take multiple snapshots of pages strictly for the info contained in the pages themselves, and often use these when I work offline, I do not care about the author, abstract, url and so on. Having to have a Parent clutters my workflow.
    - When I see a "plus" to the left of the Parent I am interpreting that there is something inside/below in a hierarchical structure. For my purposes, there is nothing inside, only redundancy.
  • mikke9: See what I've said to others above and what I said at the top of this thread:
    Additional changes are coming to reduce interface clutter for web page items with limited fields and a single matching child snapshot, which should provide an interface similar to that provided by standalone attachments (but not in as limiting a way).
    You're adding web pages to your Zotero library, and—regardless of what Zotero did in the past—you should get web page items, which exist for that purpose. Zotero can be smart and automatically hide a single child snapshot with the same URL as its parent to avoid interface clutter. We haven't implemented this yet, but we'll try to do so by the next beta. As noted above, you can already double-click on the parent to open the child snapshot, which allows you to mostly ignore the snapshot.

As I also noted above, the ability to hide unused/unwanted fields is planned.

As far as I can tell these changes will address all of your stated concerns.