Google Docs: freezing on "Zotero is updating your document"

This discussion was created from comments split from: Google docs - citations spontaneously unlinking.
  • I'm also having this same problem. Additionally, now when trying to add citations it says "zotero is updating your document please wait..." and then it freezes there forever. When I check my desktop client the red loading bar appears and fills with blue but then freezes.
  • Check that a Zotero window (e.g., the document preferences window) didn't just go behind your other windows.

Restart Zotero and your browser and try again.

If you can reproduce it, we'd want to see a Debug ID from Zotero for this happening.
  • I am having this problem and would love to see a real fix.
  • Same answer as above. We're not aware of any situations in which this isn't caused by one window behind another. If it is, we'd need the requested Debug ID to debug further.
  • I've seen a couple of comments like this. I have the same problem, Debug ID D422146263

Zotero freezes (reliably) when either updating a reference or adding new ones. I checked that there was no Zotero window in the background. I did not have the problem at all while writing the document and I suspect there is some interaction with suggested changes in google docs and zotero references.
  • (3)(+0000002): Integration: Request already in progress; not executing http addEditCitation
    Elisa: Restart Zotero and try again. We'd need a Debug ID for the first time this occurred since restarting Zotero.
  • This is still happening! I basically cannot write using Zotero...has anyone solved this yet?! There is NO zotero window in the background. This basically makes ZOTERO useless as an aid to writing. I am super frustrated...:/
  • @tricia88 The first thing to do if you see something like this is to restart Zotero and your browser and try again. Create a new thread explaining in detail what's the issue and what you've tried so far if it's still happening.
  • I was having the same issue, so I tried deleting the last couple of citations I entered, and it started syncing again. The citations I had input just before it broke were web pages with unusual links, so I think it just didn't like them.
  • @mikaylajournee: It shouldn't matter at all what you insert. If you can reproduce a problem with a specific item, we'd want to know the exact steps to reproduce it.
  • edited January 15, 2022
    I run into this sporadically. Unfortunately there is no single trigger, but I don't think that the fact that this is a Heisenbug makes it any less real of a bug.

For what it's worth, the most recent time that this happened, the citation was successfully added but the Zotero and Google Docs user interface never updated. So after 8 minutes, I restarted Zotero and reloaded the page, and no information was lost.
  • Unfortunately I and my co-authors have also run into this. Adding a citation or manually invoking a refresh just sometimes goes away forever, and I have to restart the Mac desktop app and reload my document in Chrome. And other times it works fine :(

Similar to jpirruccello, I have also had this appear to fail but found the operation actually complete when I reloaded the doc.