PDF file name unintentionally included in generated bibliography

edited August 14, 2020
Hi all,

I tried searching if this issue has appeared before, but couldn't find it, so apols if I'm replicated something already addressed.

The thing is that when I'm exporting a bibliography, Zotero includes the file name of the attachment in addition to the proper ref, e.g.:

“Abel (1908). Angriffswaffen Und Verteidigungsmittel Fossiler Wirbeltiere.Pdf,” n.d.
Abel, Othenio. “Angriffswaffen und Verteidigungsmittel fossiler Wirbeltiere.” Verhandlungen der K. und K. zoologisch-botanischen Gesellschaft in Wien 1908, no. 13. Februar (1908): 207–17.

I've been unable to find a setting that prevents this from happening. but I would be grateful if anyone could help me fix it.
  • Are you sure the filename is not just in the item title?
  • How did you generate this bibliography? Word? Or the "generate bibliography for these items" right-click option?
  • I'd guess you're selecting all (or a range of items) with attachments expanded and then do right-click --> Create Bibliography. That'd cause this
  • @emilianoeheyns: That's correct.

@adamsmith: That seems to be it. However, the thing is that you can't select all titles (ctrl-A) in a saved search without the titles expanding. It works when you just select the first title, then shift-select the last. Workable solution, but it's a bit dorky.
  • It's not that the titles expand — it's that Select All, by design, selects anything that matches the search. If you don't want to include child attachments, use a search that only matches parent items (e.g., "Title, Creator, Year" mode in the search bar).

It's also still possible to use the keyboard in other modes. Press "-" to collapse all parent items, press Home (fn + left-arrow on a Mac) to move to the first row, and Shift-End (fn + shift + right-arrow on a Mac) to select to the last row.

(That said, "Create Bibliography from Items…" should probably ignore child items. I'm not sure there's any valid reason for it to include them.)
  • @dstillman: That is incredibly useful (yes, RTFM, I know), thanks for that! It _was_ only a minor problem, but I'm glad I've got a workaround, and then something.
  • That said, "Create Bibliography from Items…" should probably ignore child items. I'm not sure there's any valid reason for it to include them.
    Yeah, that would be much better I think.