Installation could not be completed because an error occurred. Please ensure that Microsoft Word is

2»
  • Yes. I am just copy and pasting the whole thing, the replacing "username" with my user name.

Do you add the %AppData% at the front of the pathway or the back?
  • Don't leave in the colons — that's just to show it's a placeholder.
  • Nevermind. I got that part, and its "roaming" so do I add the whole pathway into the bar now?
  • You just need to navigate to the directory in the instructions and select that directory.
  • I think I may have gotten it...let me try the rest of the instructions.
  • Well, that didn't work either. I copied and pasted the zotero.dotm file into the start up folder and it did nothing. Should I restart my computer?
  • You need to restart Word.
  • After I copied and pasted the zotero.dotm file into the start up, this is the pathway I have: C:\Users\amymiller.CINCYZOO\AppData\Roaming\Zotero
  • I closed out all Word documents. I am not sure that I know how to "restart" Word without just restarting my computer.
  • No — that is not the path in the instructions. This has nothing to do with Zotero, and it shouldn't mention Zotero. This is your Word Startup folder.
  • 4. Copy the Zotero.dotm file to your Word Startup folder. (Be sure to copy the file rather than moving it.)

This is what I did, per the instructions.
  • OK, going backwards then. This is the pathway I put into the "modify" and then "start up" bar: C:\Users\amymiller.CINCYZOO\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

Now can't I go back and copy and paste the Zotero.dotm in the Start Up folder like the instructions said to?
  • C:\Users\amymiller.CINCYZOO\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP
    This is your Word Startup folder.
    C:\Users\amymiller.CINCYZOO\AppData\Roaming\Zotero
    This is not.

You copy Zotero.dotm to the former. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the latter path.
  • Right, this is what I changed to my default location. Then I went back and followed the instructions, and step 4 says to copy and paste the zotero.dotm file into the start up (now that it has been changed to the default). That is how I got that latter path. So clearly I am doing something wrong, but I don't know what. Where exactly in the start up folder, do I paste the dotm file?
  • Then I went back and followed the instructions, and step 4 says to copy and paste the zotero.dotm file into the start up (now that it has been changed to the default). That is how I got that latter path.
    I just don't know what you mean by this. Nothing in these instructions say anything about the latter path. Why do you think this has anything whatsoever to do with the latter path?
    Where exactly in the start up folder, do I paste the dotm file?
    Your Word Startup folder. The folder we've been talking about the entire time. The folder the documentation refers, and to which I said in my previous message "This is your Word Startup folder."

I just don't know how to make this more clear.
  • I know what you are saying. I never said the latter path was right. What I AM saying is that I changed my start up to the default, then I went back through the entire instructions (step 4 in the instructions, copied verbatim here: Copy the Zotero.dotm file to your Word Startup folder. (Be sure to copy the file rather than moving it.)). After I did this entire step, the LATTER path is what shows up in the location bar. I am not sure why, but that is what is there. That is why I am asking you where, exactly, in the start up folder, do I paste the dotm file, because clearly what I did was wrong (hence that latter path that I already know has nothing to do with anything but I am telling you about it because I know it is wrong).
  • After I did this entire step, the LATTER path is what shows up in the location bar.
    I don't know what you're doing, but you're making up steps that aren't in the instructions. All the instructions say is to copy the Zotero.dotm file the "install" folder in the Zotero program files to the Word Startup folder ("Microsoft\Word\STARTUP"). That's all. If you're involving another folder, you're doing something that the instructions don't say to do.

Before we spend more time on this, since you've now supposedly corrected the Startup folder location in Word, try just going back to the Cite → Word Processors pane of the Zotero preferences and clicking the install button for the Word plugin, and see if you still get the error. That just works for the vast majority of people, and should for you unless there's security software on your computer or some other configuration issue on your computer preventing it.

If that gives you an error, you'll need to continue with the manual installation instructions, but we'll need you to explain, step by step, exactly what you're doing. List every single step you're following in the instructions, and then say every single thing you're reading or clicking on on your screen and how you think that corresponds to the step you're following.
  • Alrighty! It worked! I officially have Zotero on the document that I need! Thank you so much!

I apologize for being a pain. I was just getting so frustrated with this (I am a biologist, not a computer programmer if you hadn't guessed), and I really just want to get to working on my manuscript.

Anyway, thanks for your time and patience!