Cannot open Zotero

I have the Zotero 5.0.89 version. Since I ran the Mac Mojave 10.14.6 update, I cannot open Zotero. (Have been using it without much problem for years otherwise). When I try to open it, it gives me the following error message:

> "There was an error starting Zotero.
_initDB<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js:778:12"
> It then gives me two options: "Quit" or " Check for Update".
> When I click "Check for Update", it then says "There are no updates available. Zotero will check periodically for updates.”
> Then, the only option I have is “OK” which shuts down the program.

I cannot get a Debug or a Report ID since I can't access the help tab in Zotero (or anything in it for that matter). I've also tried all the steps in here (including restarting my computer of course and deinstalling and reinstalling Zotero) : https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#reporting_startup_errors

Even when I start Zotero via the command line, everything shuts down after the above mentioned steps. I've also tried replacing “-ZoteroDebug” with “-jsconsole” to no avail. I mean, the Error Console shows up, but there are no pink lines immediately apparent. And I can't scroll down because the only window it'll allow me to interact with is the "quit or check for update" window.

Thanks in advance for your help.
  • You can run from Terminal with -ZoteroDebugText instead of -ZoteroDebug — that will log to the terminal instead. Email the output to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread, or upload it somewhere and provide a link here.
  • And I can't scroll down because the only window it'll allow me to interact with is the "quit or check for update" window.
    You may still be able to press Cmd-` to toggle between windows, to bring the Error Console window to the front.
  • zotero(1)(+0000004): [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520013 (NS_ERROR_FILE_READ_ONLY) [nsIFile.isWritable]" nsresult: "0x80520013 (NS_ERROR_FILE_READ_ONLY)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/zotero.js :: _initDB< :: line 778" data: no]
    The database doesn't appear to be writable. Check all the file permissions in the data directory.

It also looks like you may have your data directory on an SD card, which is strongly discouraged (though it wouldn't cause this on its own).