Tips for getting the most out of a paid version of Zotero?

After a long stay with Mendeley and my short time with Zotero, I have decided to purchase the 2GB storage capacity.
Could you give me some suggestions and/or tips to have a proper configuration to save the files?
I currently use the Zotfile plugin.
I would really appreciate it!
  • If you are using Zotero storage, be sure to set Zotfile’s preferences to store files using Zotero, not a custom location. In that case, you would be using Zotfile to rename files, but not move them.
  • Hi, I am interested in this thread because we use the paid Zotero storage but on each desktop we have issues with storage, my current Zotero file is 33GB locally, is there any way of me reducing this? What does the option of storing files using Zotero mean ?
  • my current Zotero file is 33GB locally, is there any way of me reducing this?
    For files, yes:

1) Set Zotero to download files "as needed" in the sync preferences.

2) Make sure you've fully synced and all locally added files are available in the web library.

3) Do a search for large PDFs or other attachments in the 'storage' subfolder of your Zotero data directory and delete them. They'll be automatically redownloaded if you try to open them through Zotero.

A future version of Zotero will provide ways for you to specify how much local disk space should be used for attached files, keep downloaded files for a certain number of days, etc.

But I'm not sure what you mean by "my current Zotero file is 33GB locally". Do you mean the Zotero SQLite database? The entire Zotero data directory? You don't appear to be using anywhere near 33 GB online, so unless there's just a lot you haven't uploaded, you should start a new forum thread and say more about what's using so much space locally.
    What does the option of storing files using Zotero mean ?
    A Zotero storage subscription is for storing files online so that they're available in the web library and they sync with other devices.
  • Ok thank you

I will check the preference and do the deleting, I would prefer to be able to manage this for the whole group rather than individually but mayeb we can try getting around this. Am I correct in understanding then that if I delete anything from my storage subfolder on each PC it will not delete from my library online.

With regards storgae I have a number of groups and on my storage plan my main group which is called Sygnature is not included there, this might be why I see so much more than you do ?
    When I say locally I mean in my windows drive the Zotero app is using 33 GB. I am pretty sure I see exactly the same library online as desktop

I believe we are already using the Zotero storage subscription and we pay annually and this does store things in our web library but it is not helping on desktops

Thanks for any help you can provide
  • I would prefer to be able to manage this for the whole group rather than individually
    Well, to start, everyone can set Zotero to "as needed" file syncing going forward, so newly added files won't be downloaded until they try to open them.
    Am I correct in understanding then that if I delete anything from my storage subfolder on each PC it will not delete from my library online.
    Correct, as long as you do it in the filesystem itself and not in Zotero. But again, if you added the files on this computer, you have to make sure file syncing is working correctly and the files have been uploaded.
    With regards storgae I have a number of groups and on my storage plan my main group which is called Sygnature is not included there
    Ah, that's right — you're not the owner of that group.
  • Ok thank you I will try this.

Is it a problem if I am not the owner but the owner is someone else in the group, is it still covered in the storage plan? I believe it was me who set up the storage plan
  • Storage is counted against the group owner's quota.
  • So presumably this is fine as long as the owner remains in the company as the storage plan was set up for the company not just me, or is it best to transfer ownership to me, if this is even possible?
  • It's entirely up to you, but those would be separate paid accounts. The group owner can transfer a group to another account from the group settings.