Citing Chinese sources in English texts

Zotero does not adapt well to citing Chinese sources in English texts but hopefully someone can help. Several standards were developed for citing East Asian languages in different styles (see for example, https://guides.library.yale.edu/c.php?g=296262&p=1974227 ).

I am using Chicago Style, but when citing Chinese journal articles, I have to change several parts of the citation manually. For example, the following article would appear like this when using the Chicago 17th ed. (full note) style with the journal-title (here: Zhongguo shehui kexue) and the corresponding characters in italics:

Hua, Linfu 华林甫. “Qingdai yilai Sanxia diqu shuihan zaihai de chubu yanjiu 清代以来三峡地区水旱灾害的初步研究 (A preliminary study of floods and droughts in the Three Gorges region since the Qing dynasty)." Zhongguo shehui kexue 中国社会科学 1 (1999): 168–79.

However, as a general convention, Chinese characters should never appear in italics, and the quotation marks should end after the transliteration of the title, like this:

Hua, Linfu 华林甫. “Qingdai yilai Sanxia diqu shuihan zaihai de chubu yanjiu” 清代以来三峡地区水旱灾害的初步研究 (A preliminary study of floods and droughts in the Three Gorges region since the Qing dynasty). Zhongguo shehui kexue 中国社会科学 1 (1999): 168–79.

Is there a way to prevent italics for Chinese characters in the publication field and title field (when the item type is "book") as well as to get rid of quotation marks for the title when the language of an item is set to Chinese?

As a second problem, there is no proper way of dealing with the author's or translator's names, so as a work-around I simply use the first of the two fields for the author and insert, for example, "Hua, Linfu 华林甫" leaving the second field empty. I am sure there must be a better solution to this?
  • Italics should mostly be a font issue—most typefaces should render italic and regular Chinese characters the same.

Beyond that, separate formatting for different item languages would require the multilingual features in Jurism, a spin-off version of Zotero: https://juris-m.github.io