Guidance sought -- Zotero wiped out, how to re-access after system update

Moved house recently -- no access to internet. On re-connection to web computer, by itself, updated to latest version of OS (Windows 10), wiping out several programs, but leaving main Zotero "folder" (of folders) and Documents intact -- under a "different users" name -- former Admin. Needed to set up new account/user name. What entries do I make for where the program can find old files?
  • Sorry, not really following this, but see Zotero Data, which explains the Zotero data directory, has backup and restore instructions, and has guidance and how to find missing data.
  • edited July 21, 2020
    I had similar problem to this -- and I'm a little confused. What's the difference between Data and Base directories? One's for directory structures on "different" computers?
  • The data directory always holds your Zotero database (and the translators files). In a standard set-up of Zotero, it also contains a folder "storage" with all attachments. It's what you need to restore your library.

The base directory is only used for linked (as opposed to attached files), so most users will never need to set it. It's never relevant for restoring your Zotero library, though might be needed to restore access to files (again, only if you're linking rather than attaching files).
  • Many, many thanks for this -- thought I was missing something "vital" :-D