Style Request:Common market law review

The Common Market Law Review (ISSN 0165-0750) is a leading law journal that has a striking reference style because authors are cited without initials. For example:

In footnote:
Tridimas, The General Principles of EU Law, 2nd ed. (OUP, 2006), pp.
16-24.

Hatzopoulos, “Le principe de reconnaissance mutuelle dans la libre
prestation de services”, (2010) CDE, 47-93.

García-Herrero and del Rio, “Central banks as monetary authorities and financial
stability”, in Masciandaro (Ed.), The Handbook of Central Banking and Financial Authorities in Europe (Edward Elgar, 2005), pp. 3–34, p. 8

The guidelines are available here

http://wolterskluwerblogs.com/authors/wp-content/uploads/sites/60/2020/03/Author-Guidelines-Journals_COLA_HOUSERULES2019.pdf

The journal here:
https://kluwerlawonline.com/Journals/Common+Market+Law+Review/2

I would be incredibly grateful if someone could create a Zotero style for this journal.
  • This needs the exact sample citations requested here: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/wiki/Requesting-Styles as well as, ideally, a link to a paper accessible open access.
  • Thanks! I misread. Since all citations are in footnotes, there is no bibliography. So I think this should be:

Campbell and Pedersen, "The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success", (2007) Comparative Political Studies, 40(3), 307–332.

Mares, "Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers?" in Hall and Soskice (Eds.), Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage (Oxford University Press, 2001), pp. 184–213.

Comparative Political Studies and Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage should be italicized.

There is a link to request sample papers from the journal available on the website but they do request your email to acquire it:
    https://kluwerlawonline.com/Journals/Common+Market+Law+Review/2

Thanks a lot to anyone who is willing to make this format. I was surprised the format did not exist already
  • For citations to legal cases, does it follow standard European legal formatting?
  • Thanks yes good question. The order is: [case number], [parties names in italics], [ecli number].

For example: Case C-360/09, Pfleiderer AG v. Bundeskartellamt, EU:C:2011:389.

This is for the ECJ, for national courts it is different, there it depends on national style.
  • @jmv32 For full legal citation support, I would recommend using Jursim, a version of Zotero with much more robust legal citation support: https://juris-m.github.io

Could you take a look at the legal styles that come with Jursim and say which would be a good starting point for editing?
  • Thanks for the suggestion. Initially I would be particularly glad with a Zotero style, since my citation of legal cases is very limited (5 cases).
  • I had a quick stab at the style. Right click, save as, install in Zotero via double click.
    https://raw.githubusercontent.com/citation-style-language/styles/b3c1543803324632c9c2ffb64aa65e58fb480b70/common-market-law-review.csl

It's adapted for the common types, but not for any of the legal stuff. I always struggle to figure out in which fields the various bits of info are in.
    Therefore, to get these sorted out, please give me examples in the following way:
    1. Current output
    2. Wanted output
    3. Tell me in which fields which piece of information is
  • Thanks a lot! This works it seems, but I am not sure I understand your question. The examples are the citations for Mares etc. that I provided right? What are the items "Current output" etc that you would like me to provide?
  • There is a strange effect for reference items with three authors, where the names of the authors are displayed as "[last name]/[last name]/and [last name]". Do you have any idea how to fix that?

This already really saved me an incredible amount of referencing btw.
  • It is not about "knowing how to fix things", but the fact that the guidelines are very much all over the place and me NOT having access to an example paper as you didn't provide that.
    So I can't adapt anything I don't know that would need adapting.

For the first question, I'm talking about law citations (cases whatnot that I have no clue about).

(also, please edit posts rather than double posting. ;) )
  • edited July 12, 2020
    Ha thanks a lot, yes didn't see the edit function. The legal references are not so important apparently people tend to use a different programme for that (I am not myself a lawyer).

I did trace down an article that is available online here: https://research-information.bris.ac.uk/ws/portalfiles/portal/34888537/CMLRev_2015_Syrpis.pdf

We just went through the outputs and already very useful to have this. The books are exactly right (only CMLR includes editions).

A few points we noticed

- Book sections should also be without first names
    o Current output: Amtenbrink, Fabian, ‘Economic and Monetary Union’ in Kuijper, Pieter Jan and Amtenbrink, Fabian (Eds.), The Law of the European Union (Kluwer Law International, 2018), pp. 883–950., at p. 940.
    o Wanted output: Amtenbrink , ‘Economic and Monetary Union’ in Kuijper et. al. (Eds.): The Law of the European Union (Kluwer Law International, 2018), 883–950., at 940.

- Articles
    o CMLRev uses “ “ for article names, current style uses ‘ ‘
     Output now: Alesina and Summers, ‘Central Bank Independence and Macroeconomic Performance: Some Comparative Evidence’, 25 Journal of Money, Credit and Banking (1993)
     Wanted output: Alesina and Summers, “Central Bank Independence and Macroeconomic Performance: Some Comparative Evidence”, Journal of Money, Credit and Banking (1993), 151-162.

o CMLRev uses page number beginning and end, and then specific page for reference
     Output now: Friedman, ‘The Role of Monetary Policy’, 58 American Economic Review (1968), 1, p. 11
     Wanted output: Friedman, ‘The Role of Monetary Policy’, 58 American Economic Review (1968), 1-17, 11

o With three authors there is an issue with how the authors are reflected in the output
     Output now: Dawson/Maricut‐Akbik/and Bobić, ‘Reconciling Independence and accountability at the European Central Bank: The false promise of Proceduralism’, 25 European Law Journal (2019), 75–93.
     Wanted output: Dawson, Maricut‐Akbik and Bobić, ‘Reconciling Independence and accountability at the European Central Bank: The false promise of Proceduralism’, 25 European Law Journal (2019), 75–93.
  • edited July 14, 2020
    1. books, editions: this here style also includes editions. If you don't, something's wrong...
    2. Quotation marks: fixed
    3. Pages for chapter: The ONE example they give has "pp.".
    See: Wymeersch, “The implementation of ISD in national legal systems” in Ferrarini (Ed.), European Securities Markets(Hart, 1998), pp. 12-50.
    4. Locator for pages: changed to "at 156"
    5. more than 2 authors: dash replaced for comma

Re "The legal references are not so important apparently people tend to use a different programme for that (I am not myself a lawyer). "

I know, but vanilla Zotero still supports the basics, so it'd be good to get the basic style as close as we can.

Right click, save as, install via double click or preferences: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/raw/f86d3a360cb9af59cf3d3a9384c5ba9594a9d19a/common-market-law-review.csl
  • Thanks so much. Yes you are right on 1. and 3, and otherwise this fixed almost all the issues. Going through the current version we still noticed three more small things:

Books: Authors should not be in Italics

Current output: McNamara, The Currency of Ideas: Monetary Politics in the European Union (Cornell University Press, 1998);

Wanted output: McNamara, The Currency of Ideas: Monetary Politics in the European Union (Cornell University Press, 1998);

For edited volumes it still gives first names, but should be only last name:

Current output: Amtenbrink, Fabian, “Economic and Monetary Union” in Kuijper, Pieter Jan and Amtenbrink, Fabian (Eds.), The Law of the European Union (Kluwer Law International, 2018), pp. 883–950., at p. 940.

Wanted output: Amtenbrink, “Economic and Monetary Union” in Kuijper and Amtenbrink (Eds.), The Law of the European Union (Kluwer Law International, 2018), pp. 883–950., at 940.

Also for edited volumes if I see it correctly there is currently no edition:

Current output: Amtenbrink, Fabian, “Economic and Monetary Union” in Kuijper, Pieter Jan and Amtenbrink, Fabian (Eds.), The Law of the European Union (Kluwer Law International, 2018), pp. 883–950., at p. 940.

Wanted output: Amtenbrink, “Economic and Monetary Union” in Kuijper and Amtenbrink (Eds.), The Law of the European Union, 5th ed. (Kluwer Law International, 2018), pp. 883–950., at 940.

For the legal case, the coding is described in the author's guidelines (http://wolterskluwerblogs.com/authors/wp-content/uploads/sites/60/2020/03/Author-Guidelines-Journals_COLA_HOUSERULES2019.pdf).

For example:
    CJEU: Case C-360/09, Pfleiderer AG v. Bundeskartellamt, EU:C:2011:389, para 45

• - books, authors: removed italics

- chapters, editor names:
    This prints out correctly for me. See Hall and Soskice. Make sure you entered the data correctly in Zotero. Not everything is my style's fault.
    sample output:
    Mares, “Firms and the welfare state: When, why, and how does social policy matter to employers?” in Hall and Soskice (Eds.), Varieties of capitalism. The institutional foundations of comparative advantage (Oxford University Press, 2001), pp. 184–213.

- chapter, edition: added

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/citation-style-language/styles/f21369ab0b0e187c031364a07a01e0114ea73f32/common-market-law-review.csl