Member's personal library accidentally got dumped into shared library, and references were deleted

Hi all -
*apologies about long post, any help appreciated*

I have been adding members to a shared Zotero library over the last several weeks, and having people upload their references to the shared library. There was one member who was having a problem getting an invite into the shared library, but once the invite did work, he added his references to the shared library. [Thanks to this forum, the member was able to log in via zotero.org, sign into his zotero account, and receive the invitation that way, instead of receiving it via his external email address).

It now looks like this member's references were replaced with what was originally in the shared library. Is there a way to fix this, before having to start over? It seems curious that the shared library now has all the contents of this one member's library, who wasn't able to receive an invite to the shared library in the first place. Did something occur when I had him log into his zotero account through zotero.org to access his library?

Once we had all of the references from the different members compiled into one library, we were going to go through and and delete duplicated references, and also suggest different buckets to put references in it. At this point it looks like this members personal library has taken over what we had in the shared library. What could have happened?

Any help appreciated deeply.
Thank you,
ECR
  • This is almost certainly some type of misunderstanding or mistake. Other than some major bug that no one has ever reported, there's just no way for the contents of a personal library to end up in a group without the person explicitly dragging them in — and that wouldn't affect anything that was already in the group.

But I'm not even sure I'm following this. You seem to be saying two opposite things: 1) that the contents of the group were replaced by the contents of the person's public library and 2) that the contents of the person's personal library was replaced by the contents of the group. Can you clarify?
    It seems curious that the shared library now has all the contents of this one member's library, who wasn't able to receive an invite to the shared library in the first place.
    Group invites have no connection to data in the library — they're handled by completely separate systems.