Zotero won’t upload more than one citation

I am new to Zotero and have to use it for my online MA program. I followed the instructions exactly and had no trouble linking Zotero to my google docs, running the desktop app, etc. I was able to import a footnote and citation into one of my papers, but when I go to do another in a different paragraph, Zotero simply does not import anything. It says it’s “updating the library” but will never get past this stage. It will add bibliographies just fine though.
I emailed my professor and he said it may have something to do with the Zotero app being minimized instead of full screen in the background. I tried this and still nothing. I’m desperate here, any tips or recommendations? At this point I can’t move forward in my classes as I’m essentially studying to become a researcher and most of my papers and assignments are to be done using a reference manager like Zotero
I’m using a new Mac which should be able to run anything I want with no trouble.
  • it may have something to do with the Zotero app being minimized instead of full screen in the background
    That's generally the issue — that or a Zotero citation dialog being behind your browser.

If you're still having trouble, restart your browser and Zotero and try again.