Can't install MS Word add-in for Zotero from preferences

Hi, I've been trying in vain to add a zotero add-in to Word on my Mac. I've checked the developer option on Word preferences too. This is what I get when I try to install the add-in from Zotero preferences on the Cite option:

Installation could not be completed because an error occurred.

[Exception... "The file Zotero.dot couldn't be opened because there is no such file. @[setTemplateTypeCreator:install.m:223]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js :: checkStatus :: line 230" data: no]
  • What version of Word are you trying to use?

This can be caused by having an old copy of Word 2011 in your Applications directory. Assuming you're trying to use Office 365 or Word 2016/2019, you should just delete Word 2011 from your Applications directory and try again.
  • Hi, you're right, I use Office365, but I still have/had Office 2011 installed. I was able to manually install the zotero plug in using this https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_manual_installation, but thanks for your advice. I've now uninstalled the old version of Office. Cheers! :)