Crash during Mendeley import

This discussion was created from comments split from: Hang during Mendeley import.
  • I'm trying to import my mendeley database (downgraded to version 1.18) (about 5000 items) to a new install of zotero 5.0.88 on windows. The import gets started but it hangs after about an hour. Only about 3000 items are imported. This is not a disk space problem. I am not able to get a debug report because zotero crashes and closes when it hangs. Can you help?

• Does it hang or does it crash?
  • Sorry - it hangs with progress monitor about 2/3 of the way complete and can stay there for over an hour with no activity. It then crashes. If I try to get a debug report when it is paused, it crashes.
  • If you open the debug output window via Help → Debug Output Logging → View Output before the import attempt, when it hangs, does the output stop? If so, can you either copy or take a screenshot of the last page of text that shows up and email it to us at support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
  • [JavaScript Error: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\pdftotext.exe returned exit status 1" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/utilities_internal.js" line: 551}]
    Are you running any security software that might be interfering with Zotero? Multiple attempts to index PDFs using a bundled program are failing. That may or may not be related to the freeze, but you can try temporarily disabling any software you're running.

It shouldn't be necessary, but does it help if you temporarily disable auto-sync in the Sync pane of the preferences before trying the import?

You should also try with a completely new Zotero data directory, by closing Zotero and deleting that folder completely.