MS Word Plugin: Can‘t search with Chinese

Please could anyone help:

When inserting citation in MS word with the word plugin, I simply cannot search with Chinese in the red searching dialog box. And I have to click the "classic view" to select one. While searching English papers there appears no such problem.

To be specific, when typing any Chinese character in the red dialog box, either full name or last name or a few characters, of the author or title, it shows no results. But it works all right after switching to the classic view and select one item. I've also check the Chinese item data and it seem all right, I saved the item info through the Chrome extension from CNKI.com.

So, what could be the problem and what should I do to check it?
Or is there any way to disable the red searching dialog box and only show the classic view after clicking the "add citation" button?

Thank you very much!
  • Can you provide steps to reproduce this, including creation of a new item?

Does it still happen if you copy and paste the title instead of typing manually? If I create a new book item, paste in "标题" as the title, and then paste that into the citation dialog, it finds the item for me.
  • I've tried your "copy and paste" method and it firstly worked.

But after that, I find an interesting thing, and it can now ONLY work in this way:

If I type the title (usually more than 5 characters ) directly in the dialog box, it shows no results, but when I backspace to delete at least 2 or more characters, it finds the item for me, acting like normal. Besides, the loading sign also appears on the right side of the box after I delete some characters.

What' more, when I search with an author's name, I have to type at least 3 characters and then delete at least 1 character can it find me items.

e.g.
    type the title"论证券虚假陈述民事赔偿中系统风险所致损失数额的认定" ➡️ no results ➡️ delete at least 2 characters"的认定", leaving "论证券虚假陈述民事赔偿中系统风险所致损失数额"➡️ loading sign appears, the item is found.

type an author's name "甘培忠" ➡️ no results ➡️ delete at least 1 character “忠”, leaving "甘培" ➡️ loading sign appears, items are found.

Could you figure out what's wrong with this?
    My system version is Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6, Zotero version 5.0.87, MS word version 16.37.

P.S.
    My Steps to reproduce this problem:

1. Visit cnki.net, find a paper, click the extension button on Chrome, and it saves an item automatically from the website. Zot-file then saves the PDF file and renames it. I always attach the PDF file to the item through file links.

2. When inserting citations in MS word, I just click the "add/edit citation" button, type in the dialog box, and it shows the problem I described above.

And as I described above, there is no such problem all the time when searching with English.

PP.S.
    I've changed some code to make it display the full authors' name instead of the last name.

The file is CNKI.js in translators folder.

And the change I made is to rewrite

} else {
    //Chinese name. first character is last name, the rest are first name
    creator.firstName = creator.lastName.substr(1);
    creator.lastName = creator.lastName.charAt(0);
    }
    }

to

} else {
    //Chinese name. first character is last name, the rest are first name
    // creator.firstName = creator.lastName.substr(1);
    // creator.lastName = creator.lastName.charAt(0);
    creator.firstName = "";
    }
    }

Thank you for your patience and diligence! I' d be greatly appreciated if this problem can be solved.

• There is a trick in search of Chinese. After you type Chinese in the red search box when adding citations in MS word, you must add a space after the search string. After a while, a corresponding result will display.