Error - Impossible to run Zotero

Zotero version: 5.0.88

PROBLEM
When starting Zotero, the following window appears:

Error: Error(s) encountered during statement execution: disk I/O error [QUERY: SELECT itemID AS id, value FROM itemData JOIN itemDataValues USING (valueID) WHERE fieldID=?] [PARAMS: 26] [ERROR: disk I/O error]
Zotero.DBConnection.prototype.queryAsync<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js:666:13
From previous event:
_cacheDOIMappings@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/retractions.js:762:22
_cacheKeyMappings@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/retractions.js:752:11
init@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/retractions.js:61:11

TRIED SOLUTIONS
1) Restarting computer, reinstall Zotero (twice), always the same problem. When I uninstall Zotero to reinstall it, I don’t select “Remove my Zotero personal data and customizations”.

2) Using the Zotero Database Repair Tool (https://www.zotero.org/utils/dbfix/): I can’t upload my zotero.sqlite file of 71,4 MB :
a) tried with Firefox: after 9 hours the red uploading message was still there (“Please wait while your database is uploaded. Note that this could take a while...”);
b) tried with Chrome: error when clicking “Upload”
NB: I can’t zip nor copy the zotero.sqlite file (error in both cases). I think there is a problem in this file. The Zotero directory also has two BAK files (zotero.sqlite.1.bak and zotero.sqlite.bak) that I was able to copy.

3) Try to start Zotero via the command line:
a) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\zotero.exe" -ZoteroDebug
- Same window with error
- last line of the Debug output: “(3) (+0002445) : No general proxy or PAC file found – assuming direct connection”

b) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\zotero.exe" -jsconsole
- Same window with error
- The following messages in the Error console:
[JavaScript Warning: "unreachable code after return statement" {file: "resource://zotero/loader.jsm -> resource://zotero/bluebird/util.js" line: 201 column: 4 source: " eval(obj);"}]
[JavaScript Error: "Error(s) encountered during statement execution: disk I/O error [QUERY: SELECT itemID AS id, value FROM itemData JOIN itemDataValues USING (valueID) WHERE fieldID=?] [PARAMS: 26] [ERROR: disk I/O error]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js" line: 666}]

QUESTIONS
- If I try to uninstall Zotero selecting the “Remove my Zotero personal data and customizations”, could it solve the problem? If that works and I am able to run Zotero again, would it be possible to retrieve my database from the Zotero Web Library (which is still working)?

Thank you for your help
  • I can’t zip nor copy the zotero.sqlite file (error in both cases).
    Assuming that still happens after restarting your computer, then yes, that's a problem with your filesystem. You'll need to repair that, and then you can replace the file with one of the backups. This problem is totally outside of Zotero.