Error every time I add source by identifier

Both on the web, Chrome extensions, and Mac App, everytime input a source by URL, I get this error: "Unexpected error: Cannot read property 'sortKey' of undefined"
Nothing is added to my library until I hit refresh. Been dealing with this for 2 months now, and it is getting annoying as I have more and more sources to sort through and cannot always make sure the source is actually added.
  • I think you're just referring to the web library here? I'm not sure why you mention the Chrome extension or the Mac app. Do you just mean that, if you add an item via the desktop app and then sync, you see this error in the web library?
    Been dealing with this for 2 months now, and it is getting annoying
    We can only fix things we know about.

Assuming you do mean the web library, @tnajdek will need to take a look. Adding by URL in the web library certainly works in general.
  • @AntonyV.Lopez Could you please try clicking "Restore column order" from the column selector dropdown, on the right hand side of the toolbar above the items table in Web Library?

If this helps, great. If not, please let me know and we can try to debug the problem further.
  • @tnajdek, I have reset the column order, and I still get the error. I was not sure if it's a syncing issue, so I've tried this on another computer, and I get the same error.

I brought up the Chrome extension because I tried adding sources (example today LA Times) while on the page, and it throws a similar error: "An error occurred saving with Embedded Metadata. Attempting to save using Save as Webpage instead." but I get no option where to save it or anything. I go to my library and that source is nowhere.

I thought it was an issue with updates or something, but it has not gotten any better, hence why I bring it up now.

• @tnajdek, I have reset the column order, and I still get the error. I was not sure if it's a syncing issue, so I've tried this on another computer, and I get the same error.
    Just to clarify: you still receive the "Unexpected error: Cannot read property 'sortKey' of undefined" when using Web Library, even after resetting columns order? You also see that error when using Web Library on another machine?

I brought up the Chrome extension because I tried adding sources (example today LA Times) while on the page, and it throws a similar error: "An error occurred saving with Embedded Metadata. Attempting to save using Save as Webpage instead." but I get no option where to save it or anything. I go to my library and that source is nowhere.
    This seems like a different, unrelated problem to the one you've reported previously. Please follow these steps to troubleshoot the issue with a translator.
  • @tnajdek, yes I still recieve the "Unexpected error: Cannot read property 'sortKey' of undefined" even after resetting the columns order, even on another machine.
  • edited June 27, 2020
    Ok, thank you for clarifying. One last thing you could try is this:

1. While on web-library, open browser console (cmd+option+J on mac, ctrl+shift+J on windows & linux)
    2. Paste the following command:localStorage.clear()
    3. Press enter
    4. Reload page

If the problem persists, we will need more information, such as:
    • Which browser you're using and what version
    • What are the exact steps to reproduce the problem
    • What error, if any, appears in the browser console when the problem occurs (browser console can be opened as per step 1 above