Report #1767631257

Hello!

We are having an issue with Zotero. The chrome extension is not saving files to the correct Zotero folder. No error message is popping up and every document needs to be put in manually. We are unsure why this is.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks,
CGSHR
  • edited June 23, 2020
    What exactly is happening? What URL are you trying on, what does it say when you hover over the save button, and what happens when you click it? Have you tried restarting your browser and/or computer?
  • The chrome extension is not saving anything. I have to manually put everything in since Zotero is not able to retrieve metadata from the PDF. I have thrown out and reinstalled Zotero but nothing is work.
  • Run through https://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues and provide _all_ info requested in the last step if the others don't help
  • The DeBug ID# is 1104252556.

The Chrome extension is working, I ran through all of those however when I am dragging articles in to Zotero and press retrieve metadata it doesn't work. The extension keeps saying that there is an error, but saves the article needed. However, I need to manually put in all the information (such as author, volume, issue, publisher etc.) into the info panel of Zotero standalone.

Zotero standalone is not working and giving me a hard time. Zotero was working fine for me up until I updated back in May.
  • Sorry, but I still have no idea what's not working except that retrieve metadata isn't working.
    But you started out by talking about the Chrome connector and not saving to the right collection -- but now you're saying the Chrome connector is working?

Could you run us, in detail, through what you're actually doing? Including specific URLs that you're downloading/saving from and provide as much detail as possible -- remember we can't see what's on your screen and you may be using Zotero differently from other people.
  • Sorry, let me clarify.

The first problem I encountered was the Chrome Connector. It wouldn't save anything even when a website as compatible. I ran through the troubleshooting page you sent and after I reloaded the page it seemed to work.

However, when the extension saves items to the standalone it doesn't include any of the information. So I have to go in after the extension saves it and type out the title, author, year, etc. That is one of the problems I am facing with Zotero.

Second, before I discovered that the extension saved items to my standalone minus the correct information, I was putting in everything manually. After the extension started saving, I went back to see if I drag and drop a filed into Zotero, would it retrieve the metadata from it. It didn't.

This was one of the websites that was giving me trouble: https://www.itf-oecd.org/sites/default/files/docs/transport-connectivity-gender-perspective.pdf

I reloaded and then it was able to save it. However, once it was saved to my standalone it was as a loose pdf underneath a blank report icon.

I hope this all makes sense. Sorry for any confusion. Thank you for your help!
  • However, when the extension saves items to the standalone it doesn't include any of the information. So I have to go in after the extension saves it and type out the title, author, year, etc. That is one of the problems I am facing with Zotero.
    We would need an example URL where you expect it to work, but assuming it really is a supported site, that, too, would be Troubleshooting Issues with Zotero Translators.
    After the extension started saving, I went back to see if I drag and drop a filed into Zotero, would it retrieve the metadata from it. It didn't.
    Read through Retrieve PDF Metadata to understand this better. A file like the example you give is never going to have metadata detected — it's just a random document that happens to be distributed as a PDF, the same as if you had typed up a document in Word and saved it as PDF. The linked page explains what to do in such cases. (If you have a blank report item above it, that's something you already created with Create Parent Item.)