Login fails while saving in Safari

edited June 17, 2020
This discussion was created from comments split from: Available for beta testing: Zotero Connector for Safari 13.
  • In Safari Version 13.1.1 (15609.2.9.1.2) with the toolbar key, I'm having a problem where it has me login 2 times which fails both times (I'm logged in in another window and log in correctly - repeated) and then it decides to save as a webpage/screenshot which I don't like because I get all kinds of funny files in my database. The metadata from the webpage is correct and it correctly finds the downloaded pdf in my downloads folder
  • What do you mean by "it has me login 2 times"? Are you trying to save directly to your online library, without Zotero open? If you have Zotero installed, you want to have Zotero open.
    then it decides to save as a webpage/screenshot
    What URL?
    I get all kinds of funny files in my database
    What exactly do you mean by this?
  • Yes I have both the desktop application open and I'm logged into the online library in another browser window (this was after the first times in hopes that I wouldn't need to be logged in). If I click the link that I put in my favorites tool bar "save to Zotero" while on a scientific journal article page that I have full access to, it asks me to login, says there is problem, then asks me to login again, says there is a problem, and then proceeds to save the article as a website. In my storage file corresponding to this article, I have a the full archive of the website including all icons, html pages etc. I really don't want to have full websites on my computer.
  • If I click the link that I put in my favorites tool bar "save to Zotero"
    It sounds like you're talking about the Zotero bookmarklet. Don't use that — it doesn't really work on modern versions of Safari due to Safari's tracking prevention measures.

If you want to use Safari, you can try the beta version of the Zotero Connector for Safari 13, as described in the first post of the thread you posted to. If you're not comfortable using beta software, you should use the Zotero Connector for Firefox or Chrome.

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/safari_compatibility
  • Yes, I was using the Zotero bookmarklet. I didn't realize that I had to activate the extension. Now I have and tried it with 3 different articles.

One worked perfectly. One worked except that the year was dropped. One just made a web archive and didn't have much of the metadata.

I'm also updating/syncing my database and it asked for the google captcha but that never appeared, so perhaps that is the problem. I'll try again tomorrow.
  • One worked perfectly. One worked except that the year was dropped. One just made a web archive and didn't have much of the metadata.
    Those just sound like standard differences in metadata available from different sites. See Zotero Translators.
    I'm also updating/syncing my database and it asked for the google captcha but that never appeared
    Zotero doesn't do anything involving a Google captcha. You might have a plugin installed (e.g., Google Scholar Citations) that's making requests to Google. That has nothing to do with syncing.