Bibtex export - duplicate references not deleted.

If I have multiple copies of a reference (as frequently happens since there isn't a merge feature yet!), I can delete one of the references, but the reference still appears to be in the database. I know this, because when I export the database to bibtex, there are still multiple entries for the references. The first entry created has a name like

zhou_effect_2005

Whereas the next one has the name

zhou_effect_2005-1

So that I have to figure out what the suffix of the key that is generated when I export to bibtex when I want to cite it.

Is there a way to delete this extra database entry when the reference itself is deleted?
  • 1) Are you deleting or simply removing from a collection? If you're in a collection, you need to right-click and choose "Delete Selected Item(s) from Library" to delete it.

2) Have you emptied the trash? I believe items in the trash show up in library exports in 2.0, which we need to fix.
  • Rather embarrassing -- I can't seem to find any trash functionality in Zotero! Am I missing something?

Also I generally delete just by hitting the delete key -- perhaps it's only hiding the citation? Or is that equivalent to "Delete Selected Item(s) from Library?"
  • I can't seem to find any trash functionality in Zotero!
    Are you using 2.0?
    Also I generally delete just by hitting the delete key -- perhaps it's only hiding the citation? Or is that equivalent to "Delete Selected Item(s) from Library?"
    Then you're just removing them from the collection, not from your library.

http://www.zotero.org/support/collections
  • Trash exists in the 2.0b - I don't think in the 1.10 version. It's on the bottom of your collections in the left hand pane.

Delete only deletes an item from the current collection, not from the library. Before you delete an item from the library (which does work by pressing delete for an item while you have the library - and not a collection - selected) you will get a confirmation pop-up window.
  • Yes, I am in the library when I delete them -- so that's fine. But I had sufficient folders that I didn't see the trash can until scrolling down. Everything exports fine now -- problems solved!