Sync Error Messages

Every time my computer syncs with server I get "conflict resolution" menu with 35 conflicts displayed. There shouldn't be any, I just updated entries on my computer which then should have been synced to server. WORSE, I go through conflicts to no avail. A few minutes later I get the same message again, with the same 35 conflicts. A couple of times in a few minutes the whole thing has crashed and I have been told i have to re-start firefox.

Report No. 799836295.

Please advise what I should do. I am deeply regretting having made this transition to 2.0 version before it is really ready to show. If there is any way to go back to earlier version I would be glad to know abou it. Otherwise, a fix for this problem would be appreciated.
  • 1) What differences, if any, do you see in the conflict resolution window?

2) When you complete the conflict resolution, watch the sync icon. Does the sync appear to go through successfully, or do you get another error? If so, what does it say when you hover over the icon?

3) If you're getting a successive conflict after a seemingly successful sync, generate debug output for both syncs and send it to support@zot....org, with a link to this thread, and we'll take a look.

4) The above would be helpful. If, after that, you can't wait: http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/sync_troubleshooting
  • I have the same or similar problem.

When I try to reset to zotero server I get the error "Background sync resulted in conflict - manual sync required". So even if the zotero server for my account is complete empty (as far as I can see at the web-pate).

While syncing manually I also get several conflict resolutions (seven). And they are allways exactly the same items. I can complete the sync by confirming the conflicts - which are actually none because the local an server items don't differ.

Well, I try it with a new zotero identity to decide if it's an server or an local issue.
  • very strange, now I get the error:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    zotero(5): REPLACE INTO version VALUES ('lastremotesync', ?)

zotero(5): Binding parameter 1 of type int: 1248185077

zotero(5): Committing transaction

zotero(3): Resetting Notifier event queue

zotero(3): HTTP POST 180122 bytes to https://sync.zotero.org/upload?gzip=1 (gzipped from 1251192 bytes; 86% savings)

zotero(3): <response version="5" timestamp="1248185144"><error type="error" code="LIBRARY_ACCESS_DENIED">Cannot make changes to library (Report ID: db1fad57)</error></response>

zotero(1): Cannot make changes to library (Report ID: db1fad57)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

back to my origin login syncing fails now completely with:
    zotero(3): HTTP POST 151059 bytes to https://sync.zotero.org/upload?gzip=1 (gzipped from 957445 bytes; 84% savings)

zotero(5): SELECT version FROM version WHERE schema='lastlocalsync'

zotero(5): SELECT version FROM version WHERE schema='lastlocalsync'

zotero(3): <response version="5" timestamp="1248185461"><error type="error" code="ERROR_PROCESSING_UPLOAD_DATA">Error processing uploaded data (Report ID: 6cad4dc8)</error></response>

zotero(1): Error processing uploaded data (Report ID: 6cad4dc8)
  • polar: You'd get "Cannot make changes to library" if you made changes to a group library but had your write privileges removed before syncing successfully. Zotero doesn't yet deal with this very well, so you'll need to leave the group, sync, and rejoin it.

The upload error is just a temporary fluke. Try again.
  • Thanks Dan,

yes, the errors where related to group function. Not only the error with "Cannot make changes to library " but also the problem with the conflicts. There where items in the group folders which where obviously in conflict. But I didn't figured out in which relation exactly. Removing all groups there weren't any errors anymore.
  • I am having the same problem with synching. However, my error message reads:
    [Exception..'Component returned failure code 0x80004005 (INS_ERROR_FAILURE) [mozlStorageStatement.execute]" nsresult "0x80004005 (INS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame::chrome//zotero/content/xpcom/db.js:
    I tried manual synching but it simply repeated the problem.

What shall I do. it worked fine yesterday
  • restad: http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/troubleshooting_sync_errors