Cannot add pdf to zotero

Hi,

I am using Zotero 5.0.87 on Linux Manjaro.
Everything had always run smooth, but recently I am having troubles with adding PDF:

- I cannot drag pdf to Zotero: the pdf thumbnail will appear and everything seems normal but the pdf is just not added.
- This is the same trying to add pdf in preexisting parent items.
- ZotFile plugin does not work either. it says: 'new attachment added' but the file is not added or removed from the target folder as it should.

I have to admit that I am playing a bit dirty. I am using the same folder on an external drive and access to it from both Windows and Linux, using the same db, the same storage older etc...
BUT, if I add an item from the Zotero connector it works pretty fine and it downloads the pdf in the right place and I indeed can access it from both Linux and windows.

So, please help, my PhD is in your hands.

Best,
Alessio
  • edited June 3, 2020
    I cannot drag pdf to Zotero: the pdf thumbnail will appear and everything seems normal but the pdf is just not added.
    Does it work if you use New Item button → Store Copy of File?

Can you provide a Debug ID for trying to drag a file?
    I am using the same folder on an external drive and access to it from both Windows and Linux, using the same db, the same storage older etc...
    Unless you're always extremely careful to close Zotero in one environment before opening it in the other, you've either already corrupted your database doing this or will in the future. You can check your database integrity from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences.
  • Thanks @dstillman,

the problem was indeed connected to the storage.
    I read the debug myself:

[JavaScript Error: "Unix error 1 during operation setPermissions on file /run/media/cocconat/Data/ownCloud_MPI/Zotero/storage/Y8WVW22J/main.pdf (Operation not permitted)" {file: "(unknown module)" line: 0}]
    [JavaScript Error: "Failed importing file /home/cocconat/Downloads/papers/main.pdf"]

I changed the storage from NTFS to FAT32 and the problem was solved.

The resulting questions are:
    1. why adding the file requires changing the permissions?
    2. why adding from the connectors was fine?

Thanks for the help.
    Ale
  • Sorry, we can't provide any support for a setup like that. Putting your Zotero data directory in a cloud storage folder and/or trying to share it between OSes — it's not clear whether you're doing one or both — is extremely likely to corrupt your database, and at the very least can cause all sorts of strange problems. We strongly recommend keeping your data directory in a regular folder on your local disk, whether or not you store attached files elsewhere.

https://www.zotero.org/support/sync#alternative_syncing_solutions