APA 6 not formatting correctly

I have had all APA6 chapter in an edited volume entries for this article come out of Zotero absolutely incorrectly. Example here. COUNT the errors.

What's going on?? Why can Zotero no longer properly format APA 6?

Mahiou, Ahmed. 2017. “Les Droits de l’homme Dans Les Constitutions Algériennes (1963-2016).” Pp. 675–88 in Mélanges en l’honneur du professeur E. Decaux, edited by Pedone.
  • edited June 2, 2020
    Before pointing fingers, did you check you're actually using APA and not ASA as in American Sociological Association?

It would be weird if one of the most widely used styles on the repository is off, no?
  • Holy Crap. When did Zotero REMOVE my APA 6 from installed styles???? I don't think I could be more pissed about this! I never added 7, I don't work in 7.

So yeah, I pointed fingers at the wrong thing. But I've been a Zotero evangelist for over a decade, and the unauthorized removal of one of the widely used styles in the repository from my system is BURN IT DOWN anger making.

I was wrong to be not angry enough. Thank you for pointing that out.

• So, I am livid. And I am removing manually every single citation style I do not and have never used.

And seriously reconsidering my loyalty to Zotero. It's not just my error-- which existed-- in selecting the wrong style. It's that APA 7 was added by a means other than my manual addition of it, and THAT APA 6 WAS REMOVED without the same.

This affected my work. This is impacting my income today. Reliable, fantastic Zotero has turned into another Microsoft tool, making updates without permission or information. This unreliability, at this level, renders it an untrustworthy tool. I trust Nooodle Tools more than I can trust Zotero today.
  • I've also just noticed that Chicago 15 and 16 are removed. Also not by my hand. Has this removal always been the case, or was there a sweeping update where Zotero took it upon itself to decide which citation styles I just don't need anymore in my editorial work?
  • edited June 2, 2020
    First, please read Etiquette before posting here again. Your tone here is not appropriate.

You're misunderstanding the way this works.

Zotero has a single main version of each bundled style, and they update automatically as new style guide editions come out and we implement the changes. Zotero has always worked like this. Nearly every other reference manager or citation tool that exists — almost all of which use the same Citation Style Language styles — works like this. If you've used Zotero for a decade, this has happened numerous other times before, as new editions of APA, Chicago, and other styles have been released. When people use Zotero and select the bundled APA style, they expect it to be up to date with the latest edition of the style guide.

We also announced this change on Twitter, which you can follow for updates:

https://twitter.com/zotero/status/1212492549044211712

Additionally, every time you start a new document, you would need to choose a style, and the name reflects the current version.

If you want older editions, all you need to do is reinstall the older version, which you can do in a few clicks from the Cite pane of the preferences.
  • No worries. A dozen years of heavy use, previously as an academic now as an editor. I have taught easily a thousand people how to use Zotero and convinced 10x that to take it up.

No more.
  • You can install APA 6th edition easily:
    https://zotero.org/styles/apa-6th-edition

Zotero simply keeps the versions of its major styles up to date with the current versions of the guides. The APA manual was updated over a year ago.
  • @rudyleon I can understand why you feel upset given what you describe, but from my perspective it looks like dstillman calmly and correctly answered your initial question -- "What's going on?" -- and explained how you were likely to get constructive answers out of people.

That said -- it isn't at all irrational to choose the tool that best helps you do your work, or to advise for or against tools you have good or bad experiences with. If you're on Windows, Qiqqa has gone open source a while ago. I've not used it myself, but if open source was one of the reasons you had to check out Zotero, it might be worth a look.