Chicago (note) - not ordering footnotes with authors in any order

Hello -- I am using the Chicago (note) format and when I cite multiple authors in a single footnote, I would like the authors to appear chronologically, e.g. Smith 1998, Alan 2004, John 2010.

At the moment they are appearing neither chronologically nor alphabetically, just in the random order I listed them in the Zotero "add citation" bar.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help!
  • You're not doing anything wrong.
    Note styles typically don't have much of a sorting set for the notes and will show them by the order they have been inserted.

You'll need to modify the style.
    1. General instructions (read carefully!): https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step

2. You'll need to add a sort section.
    Have a look at lines 1369-1374, as the bibliography has such a sort section. You can copy that and put it in line 1323 and adapt as necessarily.
  • Yes, to be clear, the Chicago manual doesn't prescribe any specific sorting order--it suggests that depending on the case, alphabetical, chronological, or order of importance might be used. For that reason, Zotero doesn't apply any sorting to citations in Chicago style.

Personally, I recommend manually sorting citations as desired for Chicago.
  • Ok, thank you very much to both of you!